Author Topic: Finally found the king  (Read 3965 times)

Offline tanner

Finally found the king
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:59:31 am »
Last week I was trolling some old threads on here and came across someone discussing working with local public land managers to find good bow wood. I took the tip and decided to email local forestry and park management. The responses I got were great! They couldn't allow me to cut down anything standing, but they said they cut down fresh and salvage old hickory and osage almost every year and would keep me in mind when they got some. Yesterday one of the park managers emailed me back and said he still had an 5'-6' long 12''thick osage log that he'd cut last year sitting by a pile of lumber near their management shed and that I could have it if I wanted. I just got back from checking it out. It's more like 9' long and 18'' thick at the base! While it's not as straight as one would want, I'm guessing I'll be able to get a TON of billets out of it. I couldn't pick it up today because it was frozen to the ground, but I'll go back as soon as I can (might need to take some help to lift it). Anyway, lesson learned - public park managers are GREAT resources to help find quality bow wood. Here're the pics I got:

Here's the base:

Here's the other end - I'm not an expert, but I think those rings look pretty good from a early/late wood ratio:

Last one was me just wanting to strike gold to make sure it was osage - I'm still kind of a no0b at identifying wood by the bark. I'm really only comfortable ID'ing hickory and mulberry so far.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:57:39 am by tanner »

Offline burn em up chuck

Re: Finally found the king
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »
      that is very cool, more info would be cool. do you have to know someone in those offices ? How would a person approach those people. Was it as simple as that just email, or visit an office?

chuck

Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:26:20 pm »
      that is very cool, more info would be cool. do you have to know someone in those offices ? How would a person approach those people. Was it as simple as that just email, or visit an office?

chuck

If its that esay i need to get on it!
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline tanner

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »
All I did was look up forestry contacts in my area on the state DNR website. I found the email of the gentleman that is in charge of my particular area and sent him an email asking of there was any kind of program by which I could get a permit to take a tree from public land. He said that there isn't anything in my particular state, but he forwarded me to the park managers of the bigger parks in my area and they responded back that I couldn't take a live tree, but that they'd keep me in mind if/when they clear any and also if they found any downed ones. I just provided them my species preference (osage and hickory for now) and then I got another email a couple days later that one of the managers forgot that he still had this log from last year. That was it. Everyone that emailed me back was really nice.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »
That doesn't look like any yew I've seen. 8)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:39:11 pm »
He said the king, not the queen Bryce.

Nice find
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »
He said the king, not the queen Bryce.

Nice find

Hahahaha touché!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:21:39 pm »
nice looking rings on that one ..I'm sure there's a few bow in It.
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:18 pm »
Heck yah. Its big enough to get away from alot of the possible bug damage. Good score right there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tanner

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:12:49 pm »
I should add to this for the folks that asked for more details above. There IS a salvage permit - actual physical piece of paper they issue.

Offline tanner

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
I was finally able to pry the log off of the ground and take it home. I ended-up having to cut it up at the site due to the weight. It was SUPER heavy. I also got some measurements. The two skinny-end logs (from the 'Y') ended up being right at 70'' a piece an around 10'' thick. The remaining part of the trunk is about 52'' long and 13'' thick at the top (skinniest). I haven't split it yet, but hope to get that done in the next few days while it's still somewhat frozen. I'll know then how gnarly they are but looking at the bark now, it looks like there might be some twist to it. Here's the trunk:

Here're the two longer pieces:

And a little bit of size perspective. It was murder getting these into the truck by myself:

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:07:54 pm »
You got that big one in all by yourself? That looks like a heavy lift!

Offline tanner

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:11:49 pm »
Yeah - it wasn't pretty. I'm not a very big guy. But then again I wasn't going for style points. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »
Looks like some nice stuff.  Maybe a little twist but that's easily removed. 

Must be something about them little homelite saws cuttin' up big osage logs  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:03:34 pm »
Did the wood have any bug damage ???
I like osage