Author Topic: Spring Fling, real world exposure  (Read 1366 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Spring Fling, real world exposure
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:54:43 am »
I have been making bows a little over a year and have made about 15 to 20 bows, so far. I was able  to make it over to the shoot in Alabama, this weekend at Tannehill State Park near Birmingham. It was the first time I was able to shoot one of my bows in a "real world" situation like a 3D shoot. I was really nervous to have my work exposed to the public with thoughts creeping in like, "what if she blows up?" You and I know wood can be unpredictable, but I didn't want her to snap in a crowd of more modern bow shooters and give self-bowyers a bad name. Well (big exhale), I can say everything went without a hitch. I shot the ranges with this bow... http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35344.msg465203.html#msg465203
and got to shoot the first range with Eric Krewson (maker of the tillering gizmo), who also makes a lot of bamboo backed osage bows. By the way, it was a humbling experience as he is a very good shot. Since I don't have anyone in my area who is a bowmaker, it was nice to get advice from someone with a lot of experience and let them see my work in person. I had also brought along a bamboo backed osage bow I had been working on to let him look at. I am glad I did. Maybe I can fix some trouble areas that he pointed out before I finish her up. I was only able to be there Saturday, but there were a lot of people there and I got a lot of positive feedback from people about the bow I was shooting; particularly the unique design. I shot reasonably well for a guy that shoots mostly at a 10 yard target (while bow testing) in my back yard. All in all it was a great time and I am even more stoked than ever!! I want to thank all of you for all your help over the last year or so. Thanks to you, Eric, for all your help. My son and I enjoyed shooting with you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:15:28 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Spring Fling, real world exposure
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:11 am »
It's always a good shoot,couldn't make it this year and really missed,glad it went well for you and you had a good time. Eric is a great guy for sure and very knowledgeable and helpful.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »
Sorry you couldn't make it this year, Pappy. I am going to try to finagle my way up to MOJAM this year. Maybe I will see you there.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:01 am »
Probably won't be at MoJam this year,to much going on,you ought to try and make the Classic,lots of bow building going on there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:28 pm »
When and where is the Classic? That's in Tn., right?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:27 am »
It's May 3/4/5 between Nashville and Clarksville TN. [twinoaksbowhunters@wordpress.com] lot of info about the club and directions,
dates,motels,video,pictures and such. Lot of PA folks are there. ;) :) You can put faces and names with all the handles you see on here. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:14:37 am »
Thanks, Pappy. It looks like it is only about 3.5 hrs from my son's house in Gadsden, Al. We could swing through and maybe he would want to tag along!! :D If my wife comes, not sure If we will camp. I guess you got some good hotels close by??

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:01 am »
YA ,Check the web site I put in above post and it has all that info with #'s .They are 10 or 12 miles for the farm. :) Hope yall can make it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good