Author Topic: Round 2 with Yew!  (Read 5806 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Round 2 with Yew!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »
Just watch that deflexed limb it's gonna look, like its bending more but it's not.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 10:30:02 pm »
"pull until you reach either full draw, intended draw weight, or flat spots in the tiller"

Offline Weylin

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 10:59:12 pm »
I think it looks pretty darn good from what I can see. Remember to post an unbraced profile so we have something to compare it to. Nice tips!

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:15 am »
    I really like the looks of that yew wood.
 I would love to have a go at a yew stave.if I could get my hands on some.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 04:07:08 am »
Overlays look good.
Don't cut into the sides of the tips too much, a dead straight groove on the side of the bow for the string makes no sense! The string swings up and down as the bow is drawn, also it's the onlt straight line on the whole bow.... loosen up man this is a curvy bit of wood ;D. Think of nicely rounded ladies when you work on bows.

Lookin good, really take you time now, slow and steady. Never do more than one burst of wood removal before getting it on the tiller and flexing/exercising and looking at it again.
Every now and again have another look at the back doing any final clean up of rings, finer sanding and rounding of any sharp edges.
At this stage it's twice as much lookin' and thinkin' as actual workin'.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »
Thanks Bryce, I'm feeling better on watching deflex. 
Got it Steve, thanks!  One inch at a time, flex the wood and stop if you see a problem.
There's an unbraced pic on page one Weylin.  It still tells the story.  If I see any set I'll post a new unbraced pic.
Great analogy Del!  They're like a woman in many ways.  Kinda scary when you think about it!

Cheers!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:44 pm »
I can't see any pictures before you braced pic. Maybe the problem is on my end.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »
I can't see any pictures before you braced pic. Maybe the problem is on my end.
Nope I can't see em either
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 11:32:06 pm »
Hmmm, not sure what's up but here's the one before I put tips on.

And here's the unbraced pic now after I have tillered to 50# at 25'

Here it is now braced

And here's at 50# at 25'

I'm thinking I'll get the last three inches of draw out of the bottom limb close to the tip.  I'd like to round the bottom a bit more to match the upper limb.  Am I seeing this right is is there a better way?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 11:41:18 pm »
Fix that right limb!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 11:42:15 pm »
The limb on the left is bending too much relative to the right limb - you have to weaken the right limb to balance it out. After you fix that you need to take some wood off the left inner limb - the outer limb has too much bend.
Gordon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 12:57:41 am »
The limb on the left is bending too much relative to the right limb - you have to weaken the right limb to balance it out. After you fix that you need to take some wood off the left inner limb - the outer limb has too much bend.

agreed

Offline steve b.

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 02:50:08 am »
Regarding your question, Dan:  Its the other way around.  The right limb has the better tiller, in and of itself.  Ideally, you would change the left limb to match it, but of course you can't now.  But for the sake of learning, both limbs should look more like the right.

If you look at how much each tip has moved you'll see the right started out lower, and ended up higher.  You want them moving closer to the same distance.

I would not touch the left limb.  I would get every square millimeter of bend out of the right that you can without violating it so that the movement of the tip is as close to the left's as possible, and call it good.  It could shoot just fine like that.
Ideally I would like to see it pulled by hand with an arrow on it before I made any tiller changes, though.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 08:23:35 am »
Easing off the right limb will also take some load off the left and make it look less over stressed.
DO IT SLOW !
Little at a time, plenty of pics and thinking.
Bit like the old joke... Tourist asks Irish guy "how do I get to Balleybofey" and he replies...
" Sure if I were were you I wouldn't start from here"
The art of tillering is preventing it getting out of kilter rather than fixing it, so ideally you shouldn't be starting from here!
Hope fully it will even up fine if you take it carefully... nothing much will seem toi happen at first, but don't be tempted to take too much off. Very small changes and it will slowly shift the ballance between the limbs.
Del
(Sorry if this sounds preachy :-[... I just don't want to see a good bow spoiled)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 11:38:39 pm »
I think I've finally got my first bow.  Any final words from you folks before I seal this and put a handle on it.  If you see anything I can do to optimize this any, I really appreciate your voice!

I shot it about 20 times and it's shoots straight, feels good and quick to hit the mark!

It's a gut shot I know but hey I hit the thing at 20 yards with a brand new bow and a brand new arrow (thanks Carson!)  Flight of the virgins!