Author Topic: Broke anthere one  (Read 965 times)

Offline Ozzy

Broke anthere one
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
Broke the second board bow today the tiller on the one today was looking good could it be my wood is to dry I store it in the house should I leave it in the shop? Thanks for any feed back
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline bow101

Re: Broke anthere one
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52:48 pm »
If ya got a pic of the bow it may help. As moisture content well, it shouldn't be to dry nor in a cold damp shop. I always bring mine into the house after I've done working on them.
I have broke 7 bows mostly boards. The breakage was totally the fault of my own, Hasty tillering, some were bad grain and not enough taper. If I took my time in tillering I would have had at least 4 shooters out of the 8 that I built. ;)

And don't pull the bow past your intended draw weight, length, or where it takes to much set, develop a hinge etc..!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:35:41 pm »
Sorry here are some pic its maple backed walnut

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:42:26 pm »
This has nothing to do with the wood being too dry. It is very difficult to get wood to the point where it is too dry.

That walnut, and probably also the maple, shows severe grain run off. Not a little bit of grain variations, but like serious grain issues. The grain runs completely off the board in a one inch stretch of wood. Use both the maple and the walnut board only for (handle) overlays from now on and get a new board.
The second thing you should realize, is the place where it broke along the bow. It appears to be broken at the handle fade, or at least in some sort of transition. The handle looks like it popped off?? Hard to say from these fuzzy pics. Get your thickness taper to match the width taper: the handle FADES must not bend.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:46:20 pm »
Ok ill try that thanks