Author Topic: Would you use a short bow?  (Read 4975 times)

Offline danny f

Re: Would you use a short bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »
i really like the short bows, a friend of mine came round today who hasnt done much archery so i showed him the bows i have made, (we may have another member soon lol) and we had abit of target practice in the garden, after a while i asked him to measure my draw length it turned out i was only drawing about 23-24" i thought i drew to 25" so i think a short bow would suit me just fine. i am 5ft 11" and have pretty long arms so i thought i would have a much longer draw. i was suprised at how short i was drawing. must be all the years of shooting slingshots. so if anyone in the bow trade sends me a shortie i will be more than happy  ;D

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 09:00:12 pm »
Jon, Anybody dont want it send it to the demented elf (me)
rich

Offline Weylin

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »
I'll be excited to get any kind of bow that gets made for me. I Haven't made any shorter bows yet and I was thrilled to get a short 5 curve last year.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 09:40:40 pm »
Whenever I hunted from the ground this year, I carried a short bow that halfeye sent me.  At the ranges involved in my kind of hunting where the shots are usually 15 yards or closer, those little shorties are plenty of bow to put a deer on the ground.  My answer is yes. Your bows would make anyone happy.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bushboy

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »
When first starting out in trad archery I could'nt hit nothing with a long or short one,but I prcticed with a 72"bbelm log bow,bout ten thousand arrows later I was putting them in a pie plate @ 30 yards!I think once I trained my brain to put the arrow where I was looking. It came down more to my level of consentration long or short! But I have always maintaineed the same draw lenght.robotic form and consentration is the name of the game for me ,not lenght!that being said no two bows I have built shot exactually the same,but close!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline KellyG

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 11:19:39 pm »
I would so just ship it on out.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 11:51:10 pm »
Love em all...  sometimes a handy short shooter is the ticket....  shooting short bows makes me a better shooter. It takes a bit more focus to shoot a short bow as accurate as a long one...   send that dude ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:40 am »
Yes, I like short bows. 
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 12:08:49 am »
My bows have always been longer i guess i think it is more a showing of my  confidence as Bowyer, as i get more experience, my bows are getting shorter. So yes i would use a short bow :)
45# at 27"

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:09 am »
Uhh, well.....  Yeah!  Love the shorties!  The last several years, I've hunted with bows between 48 and 52 inches long or should I say short? 

As for the trade however, any bow length from anyone here is special.   ;)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline johnston

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 01:23:48 am »
Human nature....an individual has preferences and , at least in my case, limitations. If I could
craft a shorty like halfeye (no pun intended) or Matt then that would be all I built/shot. And if
I could build the elegant stick of CodythemasterMisslemaster, well then I would.

WildKatt sent me my first and only osage bow recently and if I could do that with that then
I would.

I also like the simple bows that I build myself. So, like most PA people, my preference in a bow is
the one in my hand.

Just go on and build the damn thing.

Offline seabass

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:17 am »
i am not in the trade,but i shot a 47"sinew backed osage this week.i went over to a buddies house the other day and he just recieved a shortie in a trade.this bow was made by a native american on a reservation.it was a sinew backed osage limb bow painted with red ohcer and hide glue.it looked like a toy until i shot it.talk about suprised,that little bow shot lighting bolts.so yes,i would love to get a shortie if i was in the trade.i am sure everyone on here would love a shortie.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 03:17:40 am »
Short bows are the best kind.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52:00 am »
Im an equal opportunity bow lover; short bows need loving too! same with tall ones, and curvy ones, dark ones, yellow ones,... well you get my drift. ;)
Philippians 3: 7-11

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 09:05:27 am »
I shoot anything from 29" to over 76".....and enjoy them all..I love just target shooting longer bows....but when its time to grab a bow to hunt with its anything from 50"-58" because I hunt exclusively from the ground in thicker cover for close range shots.