Author Topic: reflexing question  (Read 1560 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
reflexing question
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:00:55 pm »
I am new to heat bending bows, in the past I've just left them add they were. I'm starting to try it and really like it, but i have a question. When you guys have a bow on a caul like the one pearl drums posted a few days ago and you remove the clamps are you getting any springback? Should the bow totally match the shape of the caul? I am just wondering if i am giving it enough heat or if it is normal. The bow in question was hickory and i have heard that is harder to reflex? Thanks guys.
45# at 27"

Offline k-hat

Re: reflexing question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:29:43 pm »
Ya my experience is hickory is harder to reflex.  I had one that had almost no springback, but i tempered the dog out of it to get that.  You can always expect a little springback, some woods more than others, but if you're getting a lot then you're not heating deeply enough.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »
30% is " normal ". Sometimes less and sometimes more.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:46:19 pm »
I just reflexed a hickory board. I had to soak the tips for 24 hours and boil not steam for 3hours. It does spring back a little bit. If you want a more dramatic curve just mske your form more dramatic

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:39 am »
I think hickory reacts better to boiling or steaming.  I have had dry heat recurves pull out of a hickory bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC