Author Topic: African Acacia  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Oz

African Acacia
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:56 am »
Hi All

I am living in Zimbabwe, Africa and there are a lot of Acacia trees about. In fact I still have thorns stuck in my shoe from the last hunt. I have never successfully made a bow before and would like to do make the dream happen. I have an Acacia in my yard (have identified what type yet) and I would like to know if it is possible to make a bow from one of its 3in wide branches (I cant cut the tree down as the wife will kill me).

Any tips would be great.

Oz

Offline Slackbunny

Re: African Acacia
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:33:15 am »
I've never heard of acacia being used, but that is probably because most of the people here are from North America and Europe. If nobody here has any experience with it I would give it a go anyway to test it out. Most wood can make a functioning bow even if it isn't a very heavy or fast one.

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:43 am »
Acacias are in the Mimosa family of trees and Mimosas tend to be very brittle.  My guess is that they would not make a good bow but you can always try it out.  Red acacia is also known as Shittim wood, the wood that was used to make the Ark of the Covenant.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:48 am »
What did the local indiginous people use for their bows?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:58 am »
What did the local indiginous people use for their bows?

This is the best question......

If experimenting with unfamiliar wood, make the first bow as tall as you are.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:50:38 pm »
If you don't mind learning from books the TTB series is available but maybe you can get a local bow maker from a tribe near you that could help too.Just an idea.These questions asked have a way of getting answered with time.If there's a will there's a way.Bottom line is you'll have to pull some shavings and make some saw dust to really know yourself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:16 pm »
I remember hearing of acacia being used.  The one in my mom's backyard flowers yellow and has no thorns, I think the purple flowered thorned kind was used by Australian Aboriginees?  It's worth a shot, one of these days I'll try one of my ma's trees George Washington style, I bet he was a bowyer :)

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:33 pm »
Wernt there some acacia bows used by the Egyptians
I like free stuff.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:34 pm »
I would try it friend always wanted to learn bush craft in south africa. You can learn from local tribes. I hope you are successful in your now building
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.