Author Topic: Gonna try a hackberry r/d bow  (Read 3867 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: Gonna try a hackberry r/d bow
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:30 am »
I like that one, can't believe i missed it when you posted it.  Thanks for the confidence boost.

What i still haven't figured out is if a r/d design is more or less strained than others??  it seems to me less or about the same (would a bow with 2" of deflex and 2" of reflex be as strained as a straightlimbed bow?), but maybe i'm thinking about it in the wrong way.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 06:03:31 pm »
For kicks n giggles I split out a sliver of a hackberry that had an almost natural r/d profile because of this post...its near same dimensions...62" ttt....1 7/8" wide limbs for 6" then semi pyramid taper to just under 3/8" nocks with a 1 1/8" wide handle section.....I tillered it last night n today and shot it all in...its 50's@25"...haven't officially measured it yet tho.   I started with 2 1/2"+ of setback and right now at rest it sits at 5/8" setback yet and it'll prob lose a hair more after a few hundred more shots for sure. The only difference with mine is that it bends in the handle just as I hit full draw...its barely visual but it does which gives me more working limb and lessens the stress than a stiff handle which you want to do with yours.....I think mine could go to 28"...but it would take another 5/8" of set I'm sure....if this was a stiff handle bow it would take even more set and too much of a loss for me or possibly breaking? But it would def be just going over the redline in my book. I'm sure you can do it but keep it to a 24" draw...

Ill start sealing mine n post it in a few days for your viewing pleasure

Offline k-hat

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »
Showoff >:D ;)

Mine's still in limbo, got sidetracked by some sage ;D

Did you temper it?  I know you know but from your description it sounds like you whipped it out pretty quick.

Look forward to seeing it. 

I'm gonna give this one as much of an advantage as possible from a design standpoint (width and taper), and tiller till she gets close to losing more reflex than i'm comfortable with.  If 24 then 24, but if more then great.  We'll see what she does.

Thanks again for the advice!

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »
Yeah..I tempered it. And it don't take long to make a hackberry bow  ;) .....I just dyed it n threw the first coat of oil on.