Author Topic: Question on bamboo backing...  (Read 1142 times)

Offline seminolewind

Question on bamboo backing...
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:02:08 pm »
Is there any way to make a bamboo backed Osage bow from a stave, or are they all made by laminating the bamboo on top of a planed osage board? I understand that both the bamboo and the back of the bow have to be extremely flat to join the surfaces, but am wondering if this can this be done with hand tools after chasing a ring on a stave?

Also if youre making rather sharp reflexes on the bow does the core have to be steamed and bent prior to applying the bamboo backing and should the bamboo be bent to match the core prior to glue-up? I have read that the glue-up will hold a reflex but have never seen many that had sharp curves like many sinew backed bows with the tips flipped.

Thanks
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on bamboo backing...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:07 pm »
You can add boo to a tree stave bow but you do have to flatten the back. Hand tools will work for this but power tools make it easier. For extreme bends in the osage or boo you will have to preshape either with heat. If you casn find Dean Torges DVD "Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow, Dean has lots of excellent info for making boo backed osage bow with either a straight(slightly reflexed), extreme reflex and recurve profile.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

Re: Question on bamboo backing...
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:41 pm »
I made one bamboo backed bow from a stave with just a bandsaw for a power tool and that was hard. After that experience I picked up a jointer and heavy duty belt sander and that made making laminated bows is a whole lot easier.
Gordon