Author Topic: Maple ELB questions  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
Maple ELB questions
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:22:44 pm »
Just joined with a question. I picked up a maple board the other day that I thought was perfect for a bow, but it's a bit narrow for a flatbow. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't done an ELB and I dedicated this board to such a project.

It is 3/4 inch by 1+1/2 inches by six feet, heavy for a maple board, with beautifully thick latewood. However, every board bow I've made so far has died violently unless it was longer or backed. There lies the question: what should a poor high school student use to back the bow? I don't have regular access to sinew, and every attempt to find rawhide has failed.

Or should I even bother? I'm planning on leaving the bow the full length of the board, and it will be moderately flat bellied, but I'm still nervous about the prospects here. I want it to come out about 50-55 lb at 28", but I would settle for a good 45 lb bow as well. I'm also a bit hazy on the design as far as layout. I figured I would pattern the bow after the design laid out by John Strunk in the "Yew Longbow" chapter of TBB Volume I, except maybe symmetrical rather than the slightly asymmetric design he specifies.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Nick from Sandwich, IL
I'm just a senior in high school trying to get into college, and the world beyond.
Despite all my rage, I have yet to find any osage.

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
Re: Maple ELB questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:24:04 pm »
Doing an ELB out of a piece of maple with dimensions like that sounds like a challenge.  Could be fun.  You could use linen for backing.  Some of the wise ones around here will chime in soon no doubt.  Good luck.

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:29:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I've been nervously checking to see if anybody would pitch in 2 cents or let this thread die  :D

Slightly more on topic, where could I get cheap/free linen? I've done some looking around, but I haven't found anything nearby. I'm getting desperate enough to cut up and dye some old bed sheets, TBH.
Nick from Sandwich, IL
I'm just a senior in high school trying to get into college, and the world beyond.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 10:17:20 pm »
I was ablento find linen at a fabric store.  I don't remember how much it cost, but it was fairly cheap.  You can also check thrift stores.  I've heard of guys finding linen sheets and other supplies there.  Silk is a good backing material as well and thift stores usually have tons of silk dresses and ties that can be used.  Hope that helps some.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:27:59 pm by Adam »

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:13 pm »
Wow, I can't believe I hadn't thought of silk from dresses and ties. I have a goodwill just a few minutes down the road that I could pick up some ugly ties to give a dignified end. :laugh:

Now all I need is to know how to actually lay out the bow.
Nick from Sandwich, IL

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:49:55 pm »
whats the grain orientation of your board, I've made lots of maple board bows unbacked and even used maple backing strips
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:32:02 am »
It's bias ringed, about 20 degrees from being flat ringed. Two ring Run-offs on the board, going from six on one end to four on the other where the rings grew larger.
Nick from Sandwich, IL

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:54:36 pm »
I went ahead and laid out the bow in a simple, gently tapering ELB design, only to find out something terrible: My straight edge isn't straight  :laugh:

Edit: Here's the picture of the worst point.

I know it's blurry, but the difference is huge. About 3/8", which would easily have killed this bow with the narrower section.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:11:32 pm by Eubeen Hadd »
Nick from Sandwich, IL

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:23 pm »
Although I have not made a d bow out of maple but several out of elm,I think maple lends itself to a wide flat design!not to discourage you!I would heat treat the dickens out of the belly,if nothing other than the the kitchen stove,a heat gun would be the best,but if you don't got improvise!I would pay special attention from center line out bout 8" each sides!if you have a way to hold it in slight reflex while heating it all the better.brob gonna get a 40some bow with your design but you could reheat it or cut and inch or so ofF each end (pike it) to up the weight,might consider trapping the back a little.good luck and wear safety glasses!!cuz it's hard to get a date with a dead eye!bobbyjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 02:19:54 pm »
Lol, yeah find yourself a nice machined metal straight edge to use that is certified straight.

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 02:51:26 pm »
That straight edge is definitely going to be necessary at some point in the future, but for now I'll have to deal with it. I think I may just go and rough it out along the outer lines.  It may come out lighter than I would like, but I'm more concerned with accuracy than power. Some string follow is actually preferable for me, I like the feel of a true longbow, albeit a bit slow :)
I don't plan on hunting with it so power is not a HUGE requirement, but speed does help accuracy in a way.
Nick from Sandwich, IL