Author Topic: 2012 Red Oak Board Bow Trade  (Read 53029 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: 2012 Red Oak Board Bow Trade
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2013, 01:12:33 am »
I'm off work for the next 3 days.  The red oak board bow is my top priority.  I needed to let it rest after the heating in a reflex.  Don't give up on me.   :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:18 am »
ok....im really starting to hate not having a stringer. every time i try to string the bow im working on to full brace it just goes capow... i was using the stepthrough method, i know, shame on me... i will be making a stringer... i was already at full draw(aprox 1-2 inches off brace.) when to string it higher and boom. I think its time i make a stringer since each time i use the push pull im just too much of wimp to get it strung and when i use the step through it goes boom. It was around 40-45 lbs at 26 inches maybe a bit more and it wasnt even at full brace, so i would guess 45-50 finished, if i still had it in one piece. Well, anyway, time to start another one...
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:19 am »
I should also add, the splinter that raised was broken in half, as in, it wasnt the source of the problem... so i guess i just screwed up with my desire to finish tiller tonight(was looking pretty darn good.)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2013, 08:49:51 am »
Sorry to hear your bow exploded

It was around 40-45 lbs at 26 inches maybe a bit more and it wasnt even at full brace, so i would guess 45-50 finished, if i still had it in one piece.

How would you know this without having fully braced the bow? 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:29 am »
Sorry to hear your bow exploded

It was around 40-45 lbs at 26 inches maybe a bit more and it wasnt even at full brace, so i would guess 45-50 finished, if i still had it in one piece.

How would you know this without having fully braced the bow?

It sounds like he had taken it to full draw off of the low brace or long string.  Then, ...when he went to put it up to the standard brace, it blew up on him.

Imuffin - A little girl I saw at a street carnival/artfest thing, had to be taken to the ER for stitches from a laceration she got while using the step-thru method on a little PVC bow her dad made for her.  I've been scared to use it ever since.  Push-pull method for me!

OneBow

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2013, 11:38:54 am »
i had it at 4 inches of brace. i wanted to get it to 6 so i could finish tiller. I will never use that method again. especially because it just doesnt work! so yes, i am going to make a stringer lol.

Offline oscar3b

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2013, 11:59:21 am »
Hey everyone!  Mine has been in my garage for awhile now.  I think it should be pretty well shot in (it's around 100 arrows) and has taken no set.  I'll get it mailed out as soon as I can.  I overbuilt the bow quite a bit but I think my recipient will like her.  It's probably the most accurate bow I've ever built.  I went safe and made a bow that was 2" wide and parallel in the mid limbs, so it looks a little weird for me from where I'm used to this style bow and 1 1/2" wide.  Still though I hope her recipient will have fun with her. 

Lost arrow- that's just my draw so I'm hoping that bow is headed to Berea :)
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2013, 02:40:19 pm »
Well ,I just tracked the parcel and it has been processed in the city of destination. That means it's on the truck and if no one is home to sign for it , Mr.-------- will have to go pick it up at the post office. Lets cross our fingers . I could stand on the packaging without budging it ,and it's sealed up with Tuck tape and stuffed in with lots of shopping bags at the ends as well as a couple of wood plugs.I think the packaging was 3x the weight of the bow ;)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2013, 02:42:42 pm »
Man, you killing me  ;D hope its headed my way lol.

Offline bubby

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »
ok....im really starting to hate not having a stringer. every time i try to string the bow im working on to full brace it just goes capow... i was using the stepthrough method, i know, shame on me... i will be making a stringer... i was already at full draw(aprox 1-2 inches off brace.) when to string it higher and boom. I think its time i make a stringer since each time i use the push pull im just too much of wimp to get it strung and when i use the step through it goes boom. It was around 40-45 lbs at 26 inches maybe a bit more and it wasnt even at full brace, so i would guess 45-50 finished, if i still had it in one piece. Well, anyway, time to start another one...

muffin man, if you cant string it with push pull I doubt that you can shoot it, I have bowsover 70# draw and I use push pull, but yeah make a stringer, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2013, 04:32:06 pm »
idk man, it was so tall lol. I think that was my problem. it was stretching my arms out and just using up all my strength via leverage. I think stringer will be most beneficial.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »
Would somebody let muffin use hickory so he can get his red oak swapper done!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2013, 05:55:52 pm »
lol, ive got one more oak to try, if this fails then i might use hickory

Offline bubby

« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:24 pm »
Would somebody let muffin use hickory so he can get his red oak swapper done!

lmmfao :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2013, 11:34:02 pm »
Go for the Hickory ,Muffin man! Make her about 3" wide and 80"long.Soak it in oil for about a week first ,then introduce a little deflex at the handle ,just to be safe! ;)
    It's all about the learning my friend , and you've been studying hard.