Author Topic: Bidding on staves on E-bay  (Read 2617 times)

Offline kinslayer1965

Bidding on staves on E-bay
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:51:45 pm »
I am bidding on an osage stave on ebay. Wondering if anybody else had any experience with ebay staves?

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Time will tell.

Clifford
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bidding on staves on E-bay
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:24:53 pm »
Scares me Cliff!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:55:00 pm »
I have purchased several things over the years both bidding and buy it now stuff. Mostly camo clothing and a couple tree stands. I have never tried to sell things and never really though it would be any thing I am intersted in. I was just doing a search on osage staves and a link came up for ebay and I thought what the heck I would give it a try. I as of a few minutes ago was still winning.

Kinda scares me a little as well Pearl but as my father used to say you can't hit a home run unless you swing a bat. He also used to say if your gonna be dumb you better be strong ;D

Thanks for responding.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:58:43 pm »
I have bid on a few now,  mostly economy yew staves.  My staves were exactly as pictured, so I would be sure to study the pics for flaws.  I have started investing more time and effort into harvesting my own white woods so yew and Osage would be my only bids.  Also pay attention to when it was cut, a lot of eBay staves are green or mostly green and need a few weeks/months at bow thickness to dry out fully
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline darwin

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:47 pm »
Most of the staves on eBay are fresh cut in my experience so you run the risk of them developing issues as they dry

I have bought a lot of stuff on eBay ( including staves) but never sold anything its great for buyers hard on sellers, just pick and chose wisely and watch your shipping costs

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:12:41 pm »
I have bought and sold quite a bit on ebay over the years.  Never really any problems.  Just remember things tend to look better in pictures.  If you have specific questions, ask the seller. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:15:33 pm »
I have bought  several staves on evil bay...most were fresh cut never a problem
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:19:39 pm »
Theres good n bad we have a few members here who sell very good staves on e bay but theres a few big time crooks sellin osage and another sellin yew u gotta do ur home work know ur seller Brock

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 06:20:10 pm »
Yes I have and for the most part the product was as described. I know that there are a couple of PA members that sell from time to time on Ebay but I'll let them tell you about if they wish.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:03:19 pm »
Were the staves photographed leaning up against a lawn chair?  If that is the guy I am thinking of, he has a pretty good reputation.  And sometimes you get a pretty darn good deal on his wood.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:17:54 pm »
I'm not an E-bayer, but a friend of mine is.  Together we have bought staves and gone halves on E-Bay.  Never a problem, you just don't know truly what your getting until you got it.  Ended up with some nice ones from time to time, other times, not so much.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline country

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:21:18 pm »
I have bought a couple staves .. looking for wood that I don't have around here....  I really haven't had any problems..  check out their feedback, shipping charges and when it was cut and if they sealed the ends.

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
Thanks for all the replies. The stave I am bidding on did was photographed leaning on a blue lawn chair so I feel a bit better. At any rate it will be a learning experience if nothing else.

clifford

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:51 am »
I've bought lots of staves on ebay.  Sometimes it's the fastest way to get one in a pinch. Never had a problem with the old timers.  I don't trust the new sellers.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:50:19 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 10:40:39 am »
I have ordered from these 2 and hqve gotten some really good staves. Danohermie and le_enterprise.  As others have said do some research and you can get good stuff.
I make mistakes but I learn.