Author Topic: drying checks on back  (Read 2042 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
drying checks on back
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:03:20 am »
Well i roughed out an Osage now last night and chased a ring only to see this evening that there are very small longitudinal checks starting, so i guess this stave want add dry as i thought it was. My question is what i should do know. When i saw this i sprayed the back with a spray polyurethane. Should i do more than that like tb2 out something? Saturate the checks that have formed with Superglue? I can still go down another ring or two once it is more dry, but what I'd the best approach to stopping any further checking? Thanks.
45# at 27"

Offline paulsemp

Re: drying checks on back
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:11:55 am »
I would get rid of the check by going down to the next ring or further. Once it starts they don't stop until they feel like it. Get rid of it and seal it up and grab a can of patience.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 12:50:56 am »
grab a can of patience.
second that

If you don't have the wood to go deeper you can fill the cracks with super glue
Vertical cracks arnt that bad mainly cosmetic
I like free stuff.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:58:00 am »
I've got lots of patience, the stave just wasnt as dry as i thought it was. I think my best route now is to seal the back as it is, monitor the moisture, then once dry go down another ring.
45# at 27"

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 01:49:57 am »
I agree I would go underneath of them If you can And then seal it... that should prevent it from checking again and after that there will be no reason to go down another  ring.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:49 am »
Just read my last post and hope it didn't come of a little snotty, didn't mean it too. I guess another question is what are you guys doing to monitor or check moisture. Just waiting long enough so it's not an issue, weighing staves until stable, or using a moisture meter? I have a moisture meter with the metal pins but no matter what i measure it always reads the same.
45# at 27"

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:55:56 am »
I go by weight ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:28:03 am »
I seal the back of any bow,especially Osage if their is any question. Easy to seal not so easy to follow another ring. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:49:55 am »
I had to go down 3 rings on my trade bow to get rid of all the cracks. The third ring was pristine and solid. I dont check moisture. A year or so after cutting it, I use it. I keep a humidity gauge in my shop and in the house. I try to keep bows Im working in the driest place between sessions. Dont think too hard about this stuff and its much more fun!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:08 am »
Amen to that.  Never owned a moisture meter.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:23 am »
To be honest unless you spend a fortune moisture meter readings just can't be trusted - fact!
The best way is to measure the weight periodically, write on the stave the date/weight and you will easily be able to see once it's lost enough to move onto the next stage. If you still aren't sure about a roughed out bow then repeat the process.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:59 am »
the checks will not affect the bow but cosmetically ...put skins over it if it bothers you..or like they said chase another ring and seal the back.....gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:05:04 am »
Gopher, I keep a can of spray shellac(not varnish) and I seal the back of any bow I expose no matter how old or seasoned it is. I'v had too many well seasoned staves check when a new back was exposed and this is a simple remedy. Spray shellac has an alcohol carrier and to remove it you just wipe it with a bit of alcohol on a rag. A can of spray shellac will cost about $8 to $10 which seems expensive but a can will last me many bows and in the long run it is quite cheap.
  Generally checks like you described are cosmetic only. I usually just fill them with super glue and continue on.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 01:25:26 pm »
thanks guys!, i only had the moisture meter as part of a stud finder, you're right i don't trust it at all, but im glad i didn't buy it just for the purpose of measuring moisture.

The first thing i did after seeing the cracks was to weight it and write the date and mass on the side of the stave, just as mike suggested.

Pat, i'll pick up a can of spray shellac today at lunch!

thanks again guys!
45# at 27"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »
All advice has been taken, went down another ring, sprayed the new back with shellac, and have started taking weights. Time to start on some other bows as I wait for this one to dry up a bit.
45# at 27"