Author Topic: What is this telling me?(Updated pictures coming up)  (Read 7946 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What is this telling me?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 06:59:01 pm »
Burn it Chuck! Burn it! Heck your sitting on a GOLD mine, grab another one!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:24 pm »
Here's my macho male ego talking  ;)...

"Set it aside,n bring that lil b@#$% down with you to the classic,and ill show her who's her daddy"  >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 07:04:03 pm »
Make the limb with the most reflex the bottom limb.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:05:20 pm »
Pat thats too simple a fix...its got to be more complex! Afterall we are talking primitive bows here mister.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »
Roflmbo.  I get the hint, I get the hint...lol.    Just a learning curve for this old mindless soul.  It just might show up at the classic blackhawk  and Pearl, you never know.  And burn perfectly afflicted osage?  Never....some where out there is a billet to match each one... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 07:28:53 pm »
Charlie, how did you start off with it on the caul?  Did you clamp it at the handle and make sure it was secure and even? 

When I put one on my reflex caul I get it all evened up and clamp the crap out of the handle area so it doesn't budge.  I'll even put a bar clamp on the opposite limb that I am starting on.  I won't crank down on it, but I'll put enough tension that it won't move when I start reflexing the other limb.  Maybe yours pivoted a little on the caul and one limb got reflexed a lot more than the other.  Just a thought. 

That stave did start out with some uneveness between the limbs.  You should have cut it in half at the handle, rotated one limb 180 degrees and then spliced it back together  ;D 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 07:34:44 pm »
Yeah Clint it had a funny bend in it from the get go.  And yes, there were three clamps on the handle before I started any heating.  I also did like Pappy taught me to pull the tip down and clamp it before heating the limb.  That puts some stress on the limb and allows the heat to help take it out as you come down it.  It is just one of those pieces of wood that does not like to listen.  I will show it the jointer, planner, sander tomorrow and see if I can give it an attitude adjustment???????

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »
Try generously rubbing it down with olive oil !
Heat it again and use more oil when you think its about hot enough, then heat some more but not to the pint it catches fire !
If that does not bring it around then burn it !  >:D
The oil should make a difference !
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 07:55:06 pm »
The entire stave was rubbed down graciously with cooking oil, if that makes any difference.  To the point that it was good and wet before I started heating it.  Would the olive oil hold in more heat?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 08:30:07 pm »
Burn it Chuck! Burn it!

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:17 pm »
lol.  Don't know how to start a fire.

Offline okie64

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 08:56:16 pm »
Thats a lot of deflex to heat out, I would heat it up again and bend it quite a bit further than where you want it to end up. Sometimes it may take 3 or 4 heating sessions to heat a lot of bend out.  If that doesnt work then I think I would probably do like Pat said and go ahead and tiller it out as is.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 08:59:17 pm »
The easy way out would be to straighten out the deflex on the other one and have two straight limbs
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Poggins

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 09:45:31 pm »
You got three good answers there, ether make half a caul with more bend in it , straighten out the other limb , or tiller as is . I heated one a month ago to the point the wood was starting to scorch in order to get it straight , the string was over two inches off center and I figured it would be a good peace to see how much heat I could get away with now I need to get a peace of antler glued on the tip ( big crack Down the middle of one tip and my nock will cut into it).

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 06:12:32 am »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  This has definitely been a leaning experience.  I am going to try and heat it one more time, just the straight limb and see what happens.  If it does not bend, then I will see what the bow will become like it is.