Author Topic: how long does it take to make a bow?  (Read 16528 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: how long does it take to make a bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 06:45:52 pm »
I almost forgot to mention adding a backing material.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 06:47:13 pm »
That's the classic thorny question that I'm always getting asked.
In actual hours I'd guess about 50. In elapsed time once I pick up the stave probably an average of 3 weeks.
Mind, maybe you'd be better off asking Mrs Cat :laugh:
I only work on a bow when I want to, I generally work in short bursts and spend ages just thinking about it (which I don't account for) and writing it up on my 'Bowyers Diary' blog.
As an illustration of how hard it is to actually know how long we spend, I went out to the garage 'for a few minutes' to do some final clean up on the back of my latest Yew bow which was just about finished and had already had several coats of Danish Oil (I'd noticed a few fine tool marks).
I went over one limb with scraper and fine wet & dry paper...
just so happens I'd noticed the time I when I went out, turns out I was at it for 45 minutes on one limb of a bow that may would have considered 'finished' already :o.
Maybe I should revise that 50 hours to 75?
Just as well I enjoy it ::)
Del

Did one in an hour a couple of years ago with only an axe, just to prove I could!... I had 10 minutes to spare too ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:54:22 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 07:12:47 pm »
yeah with a tablesaw I can have one shooting faster than that pearlie >:D

GENTLEMAN START YOUR TOOLS! Sounds we got a race bub!

I defer to the man with the better shop and milder case of add >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:59 pm »
I had my jointer set up to make a 90% tillered board bow in 20 minutes. I had all my measurements fingered out for both tapers. That was pretty slick.
:o
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline WillS

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »
I remember Del telling me something a while ago on a different forum about this.  He said

Quote from: Del the Cat
People always ask how long it takes to make a bow... you are finding that it's the tinking time that adds up.

I think with a stave (different of course with board bows) there are so many ways of approaching it that just laying down a centreline takes a while.  Then you begin to rough it out and you find things like knots, shakes and issues that require you to shift the lines and guides around a bit.  This takes far more time than the building itself in my view.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:32:19 pm »
Hey Bulldog! Watch Deans Hunting the Osage Bow vid and you will see where I got it from. You just refine it from there. Use poplar boards until you get measurements tweaked, then switch to good boards. And whip 'em out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
I've been keeping a detailed log of my time put into making this osage flat bow that I'm working on. From stave to full draw it has taken me about 14 hours so far. That includes chasing a ring, multiple heat corrections and only using hand tools. (I had to rough it out with the drawknife because my 'tennis' elbow hates hatchet work  :-\) It will be interesting to see how much time I put into the finish work but I'm hoping I can keep the total under 20 hours... We'll see.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:13 pm »
I once made a bow in just over 45 hours, didn't turn out to nice so I learned to slow down and take my time on em' :) :) :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »
30-45 minutes with only a hatchet and a small sapling  8)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 09:23:09 pm »
2 hours to 2 years depending on how interested I am in finishing it and how distracted  I get with other projects  ::)
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:43 pm »
On a plain Jane self bow 4-6 man hours most of my self bows probably take 10-14 hours fancy backed one's probably 3 times that easy. Or you could say two weeks to three months
I like free stuff.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 09:27:49 pm »
When a Hopi friend of mine is asked by a collector "how long did that pot take to make?"
he'll say..."thirty years"  it took him thirty years to perfect his skills and to be able to accomplish what he does today.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:19 pm »
Richardzane's answer is close to mine.  I'm always getting asked how long it takes to make a bow.  I explain that it took me 10 years and 40 hours to make the particular bow the person is looking at.  Somehow they are always looking at the pricetag when they ask this question.  I often price my bow at stave plus $150.  IF they have the temerity to question the price of my work, I offer to build them any bow of their choice as long as I get paid at the equivalent hourly rate.  If they still complain I tell them I will still come in under the $150 + cost of stave, but they get what they pay for!

If they still kvetch, I point to a 5 gallon bucket of shavings and offer them a do-it-yourself laminated bow kit, glue not included!

Oats ain't cheap, unless you wanna buy them after the horse has used them!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:39 am »
3 hrs? It take me longer than that to go down the stairs to my workshop. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 01:42:11 am »
I'll have to check that out, PD. I thought you skipped the easy stuff and went straight to the narley and crooked. ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA