Author Topic: how long does it take to make a bow?  (Read 16527 times)

Offline osagejack

how long does it take to make a bow?
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:59:25 pm »
how long does it take everyone to go from dry stave to first shot, if you worked on it till it is done,, just wandering

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: how long does it take to make a bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »
2-3 hours if I dont have to heat it up and my wife keeps me in coffee.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:15 pm »
Difficult to answer. Depends on the person making it and the equipment they use/have available and the wood being used and the type of bow being made and and and and and.......a lot of variables.

It ain't a race though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:31 pm »
There's just too many variables to answer your question with any regularity.  I've spent anywhere from four to forty hours on a stave bow.  That said, I just made a 35# mockup of an Odawa inspired bow last night from a red oak 1x2...took me two hours from layout to shooting it in the back yard.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »
If you take out all the breaks, Pearl isn't too far off. Taking breaks is part of bowyer work though. ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:12 pm »
as fast as ya want and have the ability to do, but the finish is only half the fun, take your time and enjoy, it's not a chore, it's an adventure
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:35:36 pm »
It all depends on how fancy you want  the finished product to be! I've made real ugly ones from stave to shooting in a couple hours or less, but it's usually much longer.

Dale

"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:39 pm »
I really like what you said bubby. I recently made a bow for my girlfriends dad for his birthday (actually yesterday i gave it to him) and I just HATED the feeling of being rushed and having to get it to what I thought he would like. Making bows for other people just isn't as fun. Although giving it to them seems great. Anyways I totally just got off topic.

Like everyone said, Variables. A board bow can be built in no time with the right tools/knowledge.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:53 pm »
2-3 hours if I dont have to heat it up and my wife keeps me in coffee.

Then I am the slowest bowyer on the planet ....  if I tried that all I end up with is chips for the smoker!!!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:45:28 pm »
I had my jointer set up to make a 90% tillered board bow in 20 minutes. I had all my measurements fingered out for both tapers. That was pretty slick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:57:57 pm »
yeah with a tablesaw I can have one shooting faster than that pearlie >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:34:37 pm »
Lol.......takes me 'bout 4-5 hours to get a board to 90% tiller. No Band Saw, No Table Saw, just hand tools, jig saw and miter saw, router and other basic power tools. I gotta get the board from 3/4" down to bending stage, that is a lot of work by hand, end up with 1/2 garbage can fulll of shavings...Lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 06:36:44 pm »
yeah with a tablesaw I can have one shooting faster than that pearlie >:D

GENTLEMAN START YOUR TOOLS! Sounds we got a race bub!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 06:42:51 pm »
Depending on the wood and design, about 30 hours with a rasp, scaper, sandpaper, exercising the bow between scrapings, several coats of finish, wrapping the handle, looking at it, talking to it, etc.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 06:43:40 pm »
Oh my, I must truly be the slowest guy here - - as it takes me 2 days to sharpen my scrapers, 3 more to decide where to cut, 4 weeks to chase a ring, and a least a month just looking at it trying to decide if it is finished or not. 

Definitely not a race, it is a journey with no beginning or end.  Have fun and stop comparing yourself to others.  If you are having fun, you will make nice bows.  If it seems like work to you, go watch TV and come back when you are in a better mind set.  My 2 cents.

Russ