Author Topic: How do you guys brace your bow?  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Brock

Re: How do you guys brace your bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:47 pm »
Pushpull for self and longbows....stringer for recurves.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:07 pm »
I usually use double nocks on both ends with a stringer (see picture).  If not, I'll use the step through method.

This is basically what I do too. If a bow is overly heavy, sometimes I will use my knee against the handle, or right above the handle, and push the bow. That can easy hurt a bow if you aren't super careful, I don't like to do that if I don't have to. A bow around 72" - 78", I can only use a stringer or the knee thing, only because of the length makes the step through impossible. Sometimes I will make a manchu style static recurve, and will have to string it like a manchu horn bow. Over all, I always prefer to use a stringer if in anyway possible, it is healthier and safer for the bow and you. You should never use the push pull method with a recurve, you could easily whop yourself in the eye. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:11:05 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 11:17:37 pm »
Push/pull

If you use the double nocks, you only have to make double nocks on the upper limb. You can put the stringer loop over the string in the nock groove on the other end...on most bows.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:45 pm »
I saw a good one on here somewhere that the guy was pushing back on the limb and pulling on the handle....Yikes.!! I do it reverse push on the handle and pull on the top limb. At least if you slip the limb won't smack your Noggin..... ::) Watch out for pinching the pinkys..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Matt A

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 01:41:57 am »
Agreed with 4est Trekker, file a notch in top tip and use a leather cup on bottom limb don't look too shabby.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:23 am »
Step Thru unless it's a lighter bow (<65#) then i'll use push pull unless knots block the string.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 08:26:07 am »
Push /pull on most.Static/heavy bow or recurves I use a stringer,I have some with a very small cup on the top limb side that works very well. Designed after the black widow stringer,it won't cover most string groves that I make.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52:36 am »
   Step through very carefully....
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 11:27:54 am »
Push / Pull unless I just can't pull that much weight, (not a problem with any of my own bows), and a couple I've had to use the double cup long string on my tiller tree.  I had a buddy that made a couple War Bows that were just too TOO much for push / pull.

OneBow

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 11:38:04 am »
Push/pull for shorter bows up to 80#, and I cut a sringing groove in the top nock for heavy and longer bows >80#. Never step through. Stringer is absolutely the safest option, but DON"T use one with the little leather boots on each end. These are bad. You WILL break a tip off eventually.
I just use a longer string as the bracing string, put the string loop in the bottom nock, the stringing string on top of that and then the other end of the stringing string in the top stringing groove, step on the middle, pull it up and place the top loop in the top nock. Done.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »
step thru.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:06 pm »
I'm a fairly strong guy (I can put out 50 pushups without too much difficulty), but I've never been able to do push/pull. I'm pretty sure its because I'm not doing it right. I know its better for bows than step through so if yall have any advice it'd be appreciated.

In the mean time, step through is what I've been using.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline k-hat

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 02:27:00 pm »
Push/pull

If you use the double nocks, you only have to make double nocks on the upper limb. You can put the stringer loop over the string in the nock groove on the other end...on most bows.

Duh didn't think about that.  I've been putting double nocks for a while now, just so much safer and easier on the bow imo.  Haven't tried that on a recurve though!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 06:35:13 pm »
Thanks guys for all the replys,  I like the stringing grove idea on the top limb tip.  I'm going to try that on my next recurve or static.
I've talked with too many old traditional guys that had big time issues with the step through method.

Plus most of the time my brace height is only about 6 to 6 1/2" and I'd never get my big old leg out of it.  :)
Thanks again,
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bow101

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 06:39:32 pm »
Thanks guys for all the replys,  I like the stringing grove idea on the top limb tip.  I'm going to try that on my next recurve or static.
I've talked with too many old traditional guys that had big time issues with the step through method.

Plus most of the time my brace height is only about 6 to 6 1/2" and I'd never get my big old leg out of it.  :)
Thanks again,
DB

I don;t like the step thru method, always seem to get off balance, because afraid of breaking a limb.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell