Author Topic: My five year old girl wants a bow. . . Design ideas?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

My five year old girl wants a bow. . . Design ideas?
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:14:23 am »
So I have crested the hump of 55# draw.  I finaly got one ofmy trilams to become a  bow over 55#.  Not ceratin I need to do that again.

The other end of the spectrum is super light weight bows.  My 5 year old wants a bow.  I'm not certain what to make.  I've got Hickory and maple and bamboo.

I'm leaning toward a maple belly with a bamboo core and possibly hickory backing.  Or a fabric backing.  She still has so much growing and it's going to fast i'm hesitant to make her a killer little bow.  Pluss I'mmore woried about not making here club.

I'm thinking bendy handle type.  What kind of draw weight should one aim for for a bow that small?  And draw length?

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: My five year old girl wants a bow. . . Design ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:56:02 am »
Make a little bendy handle bow and paint it pink, she'll love it more than a trilam with exotic woods lol. I have two girlsand they love anything pink lol.

Offline John D

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:04:47 am »
My daughter was 5 1/2 when I built her first bow. It was a maple pyramid bow that pulled about 8 pounds at 19".  I took a design from George's site and scaled it down.

I built her another about 6 months later; roughly 16 pounds at 20".  Stamped some flowers into the leather handle wrap and made it shiny. She loved it.

I learned a couple lessons:
  1). Add a shelf. The satisfaction of building a bow for my little girl and how much fun she was having was kinda dimmed when I had to pull pieces of fetching out of her hand.
  2). She is a girl (and a 5 yr old girl at that); like Bowman said, make it pretty.  Doesn't have to have a flawless finish or fancy exotic woods, but girls like pretty colors, ribbons, maybe beads and feathers and such. She would probably like to see her name on it.  Check out the stuff Pat B has done with patterned tissue paper backings; that is perfect for a little girl.  Order some pink barred turkey feather feather fletchings, too.
  3). She is growing like a weed (I'm sure you realize this every time you buy new shoes and pants!). Design for more draw weight at a longer draw than she is at; she'll pull what she can and keep getting stronger. The alternative is to plan to replace her bow at least once a year (which she'll like, too).
  4). She will love it even if it doesn't have a perfectly elliptical profile at full draw. Just make sure it's safe. 

Hope it helps.

John

Boise

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31:43 am »
John D pretty much summed up what I was going to say.  I started all four of mine with that draw weight and length on there fourth b-day.  They didn't outgrow them until they were about six and a half.  I then made them 12#@19" bows.  You can count on a new bow every year after that as they really start to get stronger and more coordinated from then on.  Don't be surprised if she just wants to see how far the arrows go for the first year or so.  None of my kids cared about hitting anything until they were around six.  That's alright though, the main thing is that they be safe and have fun.  If you start pushing accuracy right off, then its no fun.  When you get within five pounds or within 3 or 4 inches of max draw, don't use anything more aggressive than sandpaper to tiller.  Those little bows are touchy to tiller.  For arrows, I get some really straight grained 1/4" oak dowels and fletch them up.  They are pretty tough and you will be amazed at how far an 8# bow can fling them.  Josh

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:35:07 am »
Red oak 10#@17" 5/16" poplar dowel arrows.

Offline John D

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 04:45:09 pm »
Don't be surprised if she just wants to see how far the arrows go for the first year or so.  None of my kids cared about hitting anything until they were around six.  That's alright though, the main thing is that they be safe and have fun.

LOL!  One day I caught her at the top of the slide, preparing to release a volley into the neighbors yard!  Make sure you can focus your attention on her while she's practicing :)

Also keep in mind that even though the bow is little, the arrows are little too!  I was surprised by Hannah's second bow how zippy it was with her little arrows.  I usually make kids fletchings a little large so that if she does a flight test, it won't go too far ;)

Offline bigbird583

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:01:49 am »
Hey Prairie Bowyer.  I've been wanting to ask the same question, only I'm not ready to start them yet.  My girls are 5 and 7 and both want Dad to help them make a bow.  They are even more impatient then I am.  Anybody have any good "projects" to get them a little more involved in the bow building at this age? 

My girls are at such a close age they might as well be twins.  Only difference, one has everything in pink and the other in purple.  So when I get a little experience behind me I was thinking of putting some horsehair tufts on top of their bows with each of them dyed their favorite color.  And make them easy to tell apart.

I hope you get alot of input on this thread, and I wish there was an option to save it so I can find it easier.  Good luck on their bows and I can't wait to see some pics.

Bird

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 05:35:50 am »
I just learned this from Sal over on paleoplanet. Lowe's carries red oak slats 1 1/2"wide x 1/4" thick x 48" long. Go through the stack and select the straight grain ones. Put a small handle in the middle and taper the ends. Add side nocks. It's now a bow. You can modify
by tying on another shorter slat to increase weight. Putting a rest on it will help kids a lot.
You can glue or just tie on a stiff handle. I made one for a friends grand kid who is 9.
He loves it. cheers fiddler49
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:56:08 am by fiddler49 »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:40 am »
I have done that a couple of times. You can also increase the weight by selecting a wider plank to start with. Our Lowes has some 2.5" and 3.5" wide which gives more options on style as well.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:23 pm »
Just did a 48" ocean spray for my 5 year old bow it is tillered to about 17". The diameter of the limb was only about 3/4".  I thought a "stick" bow would be great for him to beat around for a while until he gets the hang of not dragging it around on the ground. CMB hooked me up with some tapered shafts and feathers. They come off of that 15lb bow like a missile, my boy really likes that part. If I could figure out how to post pics I would.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 05:21:54 pm »
At 5 years old I would make simple slat bow. They outgrow them so fast to spend all the time on a glued riser and overlays is tough. I suggest a 48" long x 1/4" thick slat of hickory that is 1" wide at the handle area narrowing to the tips. Put a nice paint job and grip on it and let her learn archery as she outgrows it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 05:25:57 pm »
I 3rd the slat bow glue on a handle and pyramid taper, made a bunch and they shoot fine
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »
Get some full quartersawn hickory and make a pyramid design around 48"-52" she will be able to shoot it a long time.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 01:07:29 am »
BigBird, if you want to save a page for future reference, just save that page in your favorite list on your computer's internet control bar at the top of your page.  Then you can go to "favorites" and click on that page anytime you want to read it.  I have about 50 favorite pages in my "bow" folder in my "favorites" list.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:36:09 pm »
Thanks guys. 

How do you think soft maple would be for a belly?