Author Topic: What a weekend...  (Read 3485 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

What a weekend...
« on: February 11, 2013, 10:37:05 pm »
I drove across the state to the South Dakota Math and Science Teacher's Conference on Thursday.  Had a great time as a "vendor" offering our classroom presentations with the live birds.  I brought the redtail hawk and the little kestrel since they both travel really well and enjoy crowds.  Things broke up early Saturday due to an impending blizzard.

I got as far as Presho, SD when the hiway got slicker than snot on a glass doorknob.  I knew for my safety and that of the birds in my care I had to find shelter and hunker down.  I found a house that was unoccupied and I broke in.  It was easy enough, I found a hidden key!  I brought in the birds and set them up on perches out of sight of each other.  No sense tempting the one to eat the other!

The house was unoccupied because the owner is farms there in the summer and spends his winters elsewhere.  He comes back with his friends for pheasant season and deer huntingm, but other than that it is vacant.  I turned on the lights and began looking for what I could pillage.  Nothing but a bag of freezerburned smelt in the freezer and a vast array of condiments of amazing antiquity in the fridge.  I turned my attention to the cupboards.  No liquor.  Things were looking bad.

The tv was broke, too.  No hunting or fishing magazines and no girly magazines either.  Things were getting desperate!  There were no decks of cards either!  Can this place actually serve as pheasant/deer camp?!?!?!

The cafe down the street was open for breakfast on Sunday morning and I had a hearty breakfast at Hutch's.  (I recommend you get the Hutchburger next time you come thru this area) But they closed at 2:00 due to the blizzard and they don't open on Mondays. 

I spent almost all of Sunday cleaning the kitchen.  I also stripped the bedding and washed it.  The carpets got vacuumed and all the bathtowels went thru the laundry as well.  By the time I went to sleep that night I was pretty dang hungry.  Not yet hungry enough to eat a hawk, though. 

I awoke several times Sunday night and called the 511 hiway conditions number only to hear the interstate was still closed.  Monday morning dawned with wind and snow still blowing around.  My Jeep on the street had been blocked in when the town plows got out early and I had 3 ft of compressed snow to get thru if I was to ever escape. 

At the 40 hour mark of my criminal occupation of someone else's house, I finally got word that the Interstate was open again.  I packed up and beat a hasty retreat before the coppers could nab me.  I made it home scot free.  I survived the epic winter blow of 2013!

On the other hand, I gotta drive a 450 mile trip again next weekend with the birds for a program in Jamestown ND!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline trad bow

Re: What a weekend...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:51 pm »
Glad you and the birdies made it out ok. More glad I live below the snow line here in Ga. Can't do the cold or that white stuff unless it is Dixie cotton!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:45:38 am »
JW - sounds like a interesting weekend.  The snow was just north of me here in Central NE. We could have used the moisture, but not unhappy to miss out on the blizzard.  Glad you made it home safe and sound.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:26:55 am »
Did you leave a bill for services rendered? >:D
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:00 am »
Glad your ok JW. I would think anyone would not bat an eye for helping in that situation. Shelter is what ever shelter is available in survival situations

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:22 am »
Sounds like quite and adventure to me. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:04:51 pm »
I'm thinking I might salt the place with my old P.A. magazines.  No.  Forget that.  I still go back and re-read articles.  Hmmm, maybe get him a subscription to a hunting publication. 

The homeowner had a good laugh about me being stuck there.  I haven't told him about the maid services I performed.  I'll let him find that for himself.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:30:54 pm »
Thats some funny stuff JW, my wife was also amused by your story mostly because you had broke in and cleaned. Glad to hear you survived the ordeal. :)

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:24:12 pm »
Heck Sir,

If you are ever down Houston way feel free to "Break In" here at the house...
I can at least grantee you a Full Freezer and Complete Set of PA magazines.
We even have a few Bird's of Prey books dating back to the early 20th century.  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:36 am »

On the other hand, I gotta drive a 450 mile trip again next weekend with the birds for a program in Jamestown ND!
darn, i got excited when i saw Jamestown, then my hopes broken when i read ND...
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:23 pm »
Hey Fishysmell401, I drove by that giant arrow in the ground on that trip and thought of you!  Yoy crazy guys with the heavy warbows!  Sheesh!

Offline darwin

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »
Hard to believe all this talk about blizzards i only have to put a jacket on when i take the dogs out around 630 by the time i leave for work at 730 its already warm enough for a t-shirt

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:31:05 am »
Glad you made it back safe. I hated that drive across the state to the East.

Offline johnston

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »
But John....that sounds like one of your normal weekends. If something really strange comes up THEN  you
call it as such.

Well, as long as the birds made it.....

Offline Adam

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:22:44 pm »
Is that the movie poster for "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids 2" starring our very own JW?