Author Topic: Lets see your stave racks!  (Read 4915 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Lets see your stave racks!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 04:46:21 pm »
He is just lucky he leaves 7 hours aways Fritzy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 05:25:36 pm »
Pearly, I told you the bow looked OK  :-\        ;D     

And my shop is messy, I just can't stand a dirty floor. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:41 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.  I just discovered some mold starting to grow on arrow shafts I had bundled standing in the corner.  Has anyone ever dealt with mold in their garage?  It doesnt seem to be growing on walls anywhere that I can tell.  However, this house was a foreclosure and when I ripped stuff out of the kitchen where mold was a problem, I stored some things in that side room of the garage.  And during August or so the whole garage flooded with 2-3inches of water (another whole story lol) and there was mold growing on everything.  It has been dry for several months and I fixed the problem that made it flood.  I cleaned everything out of that room and took to dump and swept and cleaned up everything.  There is exposed openings of the block on inside of room.  Maybe there are still spores in there?  I am not sure what to do.  I am thinking about pulling everything out of the room, which wont be the end of the world cause I dont have any shelves or anything built in there yet, and spraying down the whole room with a mixture of bleach and water.  What do you guys think?  Also how should I kill the mold on the arrows or do I just rub it off?  I will take pics tom.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:01:35 pm »
Just watched a show over the weekend which recommended not using bleach/water. They said first get it dry then kill or clean up with household cleaner. But "dry" is the key.

Scott

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »
get some airflow in there
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 09:04:09 pm »
Mold likes still, moist air. Washing with bleach water will kill the mold but you have to get rid of the moisture. A fan running just moving the air around will help a lot.
  A trick that David Knight told me about is get a box fan(about $15 at walmart) and a 24"x24" a/c air filter and tape it on the intake side of the fan. It will filter out the mold spores and will help keep the dust down too. David used it for filtering dusty air. I keep one going in my basement all summer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 09:35:17 pm »
Plus, the bleach will kill like 99% of the mold but the 1% it doesn't kill is will produce more mold that is resistant to being killed and then you're just breeding super mold. Dryness and airflow are the two keys to beating mold. It's a huge pain in the ass and near impossible to make it disappear completely.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I think I will put a fan in there as suggested and also a dehumidifier.  Will this affect any arrows or staves drying?  Like making them check more or have any adverse outcomes?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 02:11:59 am »
Get your stuff up, away from the floor. Moisture is much higher one foot above than fiv feet above the floor. I bet you had mold on the lower end of your bundles, no?
Don't shoot!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 07:57:34 am »
Jodovus the mold was lower down probably last ft or two...i will double check this evening when i get home
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bhenders

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:56 am »
I just discovered some mold starting to grow on arrow shafts side of room....

Clean up with bleach and keep everything dry but...

BEST WAY TO KILL MOLD:  Get some 20 Mule Team Borax or generic Borax Laundry soap.  Make up a solution ( 1 cup per gal) and wipe or spray everywhere with it.  It kills mold and the spores.  Once you do that, you should never have another mold problem again.
From the site below:
You can mix borax with vinegar and water safely. This solution can be more effective at killing mold. Some people also add salt.
However, mixing borax with bleach is not recommended. Bleach often produces dangerous gases when mixed with other products (eg bleach and ammonia produces toxic gas).

see this site (non-commercial)  http://blacktoxicmolds.com/borax-kill-mold.php

here's another one with various methods..

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

I know this because I had a mold problem in my basement.  I did the borax treatment and it never came back.  Note: I also added baking soda to help with the moldy smell.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:39:38 am by bhenders »

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 10:53:48 am »
Here's my rack, just for all you visual people. I showed you mine now show me yours  ;D
@Keenan: It sure must feel great to walk up and down those staves..
Don't shoot!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 01:44:57 pm »
I just throw them in the rafters of the barn wherever they will fit
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 02:07:52 pm »
Thanks bhender that is really helpful...I will probably do that and also use fan and dehumidifier.  so you didnt have to rinse or wash off the borax solution once dry?  Also did you spray the floor walls and ceiling?

Thanks for the pics jodocus!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 02:23:36 pm »
You can wipe off the mold with a damp rag. If the conditions in your basement improve it should keep the mold at bay.
  Mold spores are in the air all around us and only manifests itself when conditions are right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC