Author Topic: Lets see your stave racks!  (Read 4917 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Lets see your stave racks!
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:12:41 pm »
I just bought a new house and im setting up my garage/workshop.  I have a main garage with big 1.5car door amd then a room off side that will be my main workshop.  Then i also have a lean to type shed built on outside of that room that is only accessible from outside.  It has cedar siding on it and is not sealed tight (insects can get in).

Would you guys put any staves in the outside shed and risk insect damage?  And if i did would they dry out slower since its not temperature regulated.  Im not sure if i want to take up workshop space with stave rack but will gladly if that is absolutely best for them.
Can some of you post pics of your stave racks for drying/storing? 
Any comments/pics are greatly appreciated!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lets see your stave racks!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:19:05 pm »
All of my wood is in my basement shop. It is pretty dry down there except for mid summer. Storing wood in an outside shed is OK but you will have to monater it to be sure bugs don't get it or spray it with insecticide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:02 pm »
I wouldnt leave anything outside, ever. Just my spin. Mine are leaned up against the back wall of my shop in the basement. No bugs, lower humidity and no bugs, plus no bugs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:57 pm »
I store the larger stuff in my garage away from bugs.
If you put your mind to it then its surprising where you can hide them in the house without the missus noticing.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:41:41 pm »
I store the larger stuff in my garage away from bugs.
If you put your mind to it then its surprising where you can hide them in the house without the missus noticing.

Preach it brother!

Allot depends on where you live and the type of wood. I have no problem with yew outside and under roof shed but juniper will get the bugs if you don't remove the bark.
  If removing bark most bugs will not be a problem. Just keep dry and air movement helps the curing process.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:17 pm »
Ok thanks guys.  Looks like i will just build a rack in the garage.  Can anyone post pics of their racks?  Just wanted some ideas on design for the wood to have air flow around them
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:06 pm »

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:58:08 pm »
 :o Showoff

I thought i was doing ok with my 8 or 9 staves and a few billets ;)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:37:43 pm »
Lol yeh really!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:46:09 pm »
I built this one a couple years ago.  My workshop is small and storage space is limited.  Its on wheels and the back corner is anchored to the outside leg of the bench so it pivots there.  I roll the one side out when I want to get a stave.  When I push it back it sets several inches back from the front of the bench so it isn't in the way at all.  I made the mistake of using to small of wheels the first time.  I had to unload it and put some heavy duty swivel casters on it.  I put some thin slats of wood in between layers of staves to allow air flow.   

I also have some 4" PVC pieces mounted on the inside of the bench leg.  I store my arrow shafts there.  You can see them sticking out a little.  I have to take advantage of every little space I can.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:50:57 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »
Quit showing off Clint........its very unbecoming of you.......that goes double for you Keenan.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 04:16:19 pm »
Clint's looks more like the vaults in Fort Knocks. Look at all that gold :o

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 04:18:54 pm »
Straight, clean, knot free, bark free and ready to rock. Typical Clint. I send him a pic Saturday of a sweet bow Im working on and all he says is, "You need to clean your shop up". Thats it?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 04:40:32 pm »
Straight, clean, knot free, bark free and ready to rock. Typical Clint. I send him a pic Saturday of a sweet bow Im working on and all he says is, "You need to clean your shop up". Thats it?

LMAO that awesome. Hahaha.

Jon

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »
Outlaw nice selection of staves ya have. Brilliant idea for storage..... 8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell