Author Topic: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.  (Read 22162 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »
Told ya, break out the pop corn.  ;) ;D
   Pappy

I was thinking the same thing :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 12:40:33 pm »
"Prefer" is good, Pappy and Blackhawk. Actually, "better" is good too. I was just wondering why y'all felt that way. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 01:24:12 pm »
If excessive drying improves the performance characteristics of wood, then it stands to reason that the performance of wooden bows made from “freshly” dried wood should improve over time. I’ve made a lot of such bows over the years and have not noticed any such effect.
Gordon

Offline Roy

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:58 pm »
Pearl Drums said the smartest thing in this thread so far.
Why things happen is way past my dumb head.
I agree wit ya Pearly Boy.. :) :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »
There does seem to be a difference  in the aging color of old osage. Why would that affect ow quality, Gun Doc? Jawge

I wish I could give you a good definitive answer, the fact is that I can't quantify my preference with mere words.  Many folks that are much smarter than I have tried to no avail.  I guess explaining this would be a lot like explaining how good steak tastes to someone who has never eaten meat.  The only way to understand is to get a hold of some and try it for yourself.  I've used Osage that was six months old and quick dried up to hundred year old fenceposts and the older stuff has always made better bows.  That's all I can tell you, really.  Just experience.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »
I think I got my point across then....neither one of us can give enough "hard" proof evidence that one is "better" than the other enough to change either of our minds.....were all a bunch of opinionated worms squirming around in the same can. :) we both know what works best for our needs and wants,and neither one of us is wrong. As long as we understand that and respect each others choice we'll all get along like two peas in a pod.  :)

If you made a bow that was only cut a month off the stump and you go out and harvest hundreds of pounds of meat with it..is it not doing what is asked of it? Compared to a bow that was made from 20 year old wood that hasn't harvested anything and shoots like crap from poor design n tiller? Is not the month off the stump bow "better". Debating seasoned versus dry is nothing but a trivial game played by us bowyers. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things when you think more in simple terms as to what a bow is asked to do?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 01:34:00 pm »
Yep Gun Doc it's one of those questions like why is osage denser than other wood?.....LOL.Heck I don't know God made it that way you know....LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Roy

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 01:38:40 pm »
Chris next time ya come over to work on bows, we can check out that Osage I have in the barn. I'm betting it's 3 or 4 years old. Might even let ya have a couple pieces too... ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »
Chris next time ya come over to work on bows, we can check out that Osage I have in the barn. I'm betting it's 3 or 4 years old. Might even let ya have a couple pieces too... ;)

I don't know..that sounds pretty green and too fresh to me,and not "seasoned" enough....lol :laugh:

Seriously tho...were due for hanging out sometime soon ;)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 01:55:04 pm »
There have been 7 post since I started typing so I should just hit delete, but here we go anyway !
Jawge

I am not good with words ,and not the brightest crayon in the box ,but when a man ask ya a question ya need to try to answer !
Have you used Osage that had what we call not so good of a ratio between spring growth and late growth ? It takes a larger volume of wood to make a certain weight bow ,as the amount of spring growth increases . Should you let that wood set a few years and come back to it ,then you can get the weight bow at a closer volume of wood to what you are used to using . Thus we consider it to be denser now even if it is not the proper term ! we also get what seems to be more uniform and more stable .
Osage is the biggest culprit of these change that I know of !
with Hickory it becomes less likely to change in moisture and the internal stress' dies down !
I do not say that these same things could not be achieved other ways but time seems to be the way that works to my surest advantage !
Most likely none of this makes sense but then I am just an backwoods country boy that has grown into a worthless old nut !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Keenan

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 01:58:09 pm »
Dare I muddy the waters. Certainly

Lets consider that not all woods are the same. Some say wood is only better with age while others say dry is dry. So lets take an exaggerated view of these two mindsets.

If wood is truly better with age:  then a bow that is made from a stave thousand years old will perform much better then one made from a stave less then a year.

I dare say, I think many bowyers would be nervous to work and push a thousand year old stave to it's max. bend.

Now on the thought that dry is dry:  then a bow that is made from a thousand years old stave will perform no better then a bow made from wood less then a year old.
I have a hard time thinking this would hold up as a dogmatic belief as well.

Seems logical that with like most things in the world of bows, that there is even a balance in this rule as well,  To old=  To brittle. To green= lacking full potential 

A method that seems to work well is drop the stave on end a few inches off the concrete. You will notice a definite tone when well seasoned or dried, chose your own word.  Try your own stave pile and you will hear the differences in the staves. You will even see the difference in the bounce.

Now I need to go make some popcorn! ;D :o

Now really muddy the water with wood types like yew vs an oily wood like Osage and apply the same thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:02:15 pm by Keenan »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »
 I have a feeling people all across the world will be bouncing staves off the concrete today :o >:D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:04:54 pm by Keenan »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 02:01:14 pm »
I have a feeling people all acroos the world will be bouncing staves off the concrete today :o >:D
It's gonna throw the earth out of orbit and further exagerate climate change.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 02:04:20 pm »
I have a feeling people all acroos the world will be bouncing staves off the concrete today :o >:D
It's gonna throw the earth out of orbit and further exagerate climate change.

Maybe if we can all time it just at the same time the world harmonics will balance out and there will be perfect harmany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 02:08:17 pm »
What about seasoned wet wood?
I think my can of worms has some popcorn in it!  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC