Author Topic: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.  (Read 22146 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 11:05:26 am »
Well each to his own. But as far as I have been able to tell there are no magical qualities imparted to wood by drying it for longer than necessary. Once it is dry it is dry.

Regarding Osage,  you can scrap off the brown layer and it will be yellow again - still dry...
Gordon

Offline Roy

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 11:11:45 am »
Sleek, see what ya started now? LOL  :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 11:33:06 am »
Told ya, break out the pop corn.  ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 11:37:13 am »
Regarding Osage,  you can scrap off the brown layer and it will be yellow again - still dry...

Not necessarily Gordon.  This is the color of older hedge posts all the way through.  This particular one is the bow I made for Sadie last year.  I've been picking up old posts because I'm  convinced seasoned is better.  Josh

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 11:38:27 am »
For you yellow is king folks
If its still yellow when you cut into it ,it is not seasoned !
Completely seasoned Osage is brown all the way through !!!
Let's see what kind of arguments that statement brings !
Guy

This is true. Here are a couple scrap pieces from about 2 or 3 years ago. After cutting into them, you can see it is just as brown on the inside as on the outside. The first picture are the exposed ends.

Edit: Although I guess the small piece might not be the best example, as it is still has a more oxidized skin.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:45:04 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 11:51:41 am »
This is always a touchy subject among bowyers for some reason.We are a cantankerous lot. 

I really have not noticed a difference in whitewoods. No osage or yew grows in NH so I haven't cut any of that so can't say about those. Any BL I used to cut back in the day never really hung around long enough to "season". I was a voracious user of wood so it barely dried before becoming a bow.

Those of you who say seasoned wood for bows is better should tell why. To say that wood is denser once it seasons needs to be explained. The specific gravity of water is 1 while the SG of osage is 0.8. Doesn't it follow then that once the moisture escapes then the SG will go down? Specific gravity is really the same numerical value as the density. Any shrinking will cause an increase in density but I bet shrinking is done after drying is complete so not sure about why that is an issue.

I will say that some of the quickest bows I've made have been board bows made from kiln dried red oak boards.

So why is seasoned wood better to some of you?
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

blackhawk

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 11:53:16 am »
SEASONED OSAGE IS NUMERO UNO!!!!!!! PERIOD....<--------thats a big period  >:D  8)

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:02 am »
There does seem to be a difference  in the aging color of old osage. Why would that affect ow quality, Gun Doc? Jawge
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:29:52 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:23 am »
Come on! Please explain why it makes a better bow, blackhawk.  Jawge
Set Happens!

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
Ok...ill play along with this game..I'm a sucker for this stuff  ;D

So Jawge...why was your fastest bows made of red oak boards? And just because they were faster does that make them better? And if you feel a faster bow is a better bow then did you actually Chronograph them all using the same grains per pound arrows? What is the definition of a "better bow"? Can we define this and all come to the same agreement?

Dont ya just love it when someone answers a question with a question  >:D....I hate that..lol :laugh: but hopefully you understand my point ;) and you know I like to mess around in "sticky" threads

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 12:18:22 pm »
I leave the science end up to smart guys like Ryan. I just build 'em one after another year round and notice differences each time. Why things happen is way past my dumb head. I just see and feel them to form my opinions each bow each wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 12:25:38 pm »
Like I said, a can of worms, How about this ,I just like it better,no real reason and I certainly can't explane any scientific reason, failed it that class. Over the years
I have just seemed to turn out better bows for seasoned wood and have been blessed that I didn't have to use much of anything else after the first few years of stock piling. Seem to be more stable and tiller hardly every changes after the first shoot in. I will make one out of anything and have quick dried wood that done fine,but still stick to my guns,if I have a choice I will take seasoned everytime.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 12:28:45 pm »
Wish I had some to share with you Pat !
You know how the better stuff seams to disappear first I'm sure !
Matt may have some maybe he will share with us !  >:D >:D
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 12:34:40 pm »
I'm surprised no one has tried to differienate between wood taken from a 20 year old tree vs. a 200 year old tree. An Amish lumberman once told me that trees are just like men--they start out young, have a prime, then become old, gnarly and hollow before they die. Is older always better?

Would you like extra butter and salt on your popcorn Pappy?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 12:37:49 pm »
blackhawk, I don't own a chrono but they shot further with the same arrow. I have a good idea why board bows are good shooters...namely flat backs and flat bellies. Let's leave that can of worms closed. No,I don't think faster is better. But I think I'll leave that can of worms closed too. LOL. "Better? I know that's my point define it. I said I haven't noticed a difference between seasoned wood and dried wood. I have little expereince with seasoned wood. It usually doesn't hang around long enough here but as I get older it does seem to get seasoned more. :)
Set Happens!