Author Topic: Can't get started in making a bow  (Read 43930 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Can't get started in making a bow
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 05:17:43 pm »
Yup, your stgring is stretching. Hook one loop on a still nail and put a screw driver through the other loop. Lean back and let your weight stretch it out. Then twist up and get a 2" brace, Draw it down to 12" and snap a pic.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2013, 06:41:20 pm »

That's about as far as I can get it "braced" its moreso just pulled taut. And to get it like that I put it about 2 inches below Tue knock, knot it off, put the other end ahanst a wall, put my knee on the center of the bow to bend it and slide the knot up to its knock, and the get it to there is a struggle
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2013, 06:56:19 pm »
Its plenty heavy then. Put it on your tree and pull it down 8-10".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 07:02:56 pm »

I took it down to 12" while I was out there
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06:01 pm »
Guess the poundage where its at right now. Ballpark.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:45 pm »
Uhhhhhhh lots? Like 60# I guess, sorry the last time I pulled back a bow was last year and that was only a 20# er
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2013, 07:44:39 pm »
Can't be that heavy. Not enough wood. Round your belly edges just like you did the back. Then take nice full length,smooth scrapes on each limb. About 12-15 each. Leave the center 6" alone.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »

There is is, still just as braced and pulled to 12"
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00:06 pm »
Keep it there. Grab a straight edge about 4-6" long. Your scraper will work. Put the straight edge on edge against the belly near the tiler board. Then SLOWLY run that straight edge down the center of the belly towards the tips. If the gap in the center of the straight edge decreases at all, mark it with a pencil. Continue until you get 6" away from the tips. Then go back and give those penciled areas some scrapes. Maybe 8-10 per spot. Keep in mind most flat spots are 2-4" long while the weak spots are much shorter and harder to recognize oftem times. Go slow. Pull it back and forth to 12-14" 15 times and put it back on the tree, pulled to 16" and snap a pic. 

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »
I'm so Deakin frustrated, I thought my string was strectching , but whenever I tie my know, like I said I tie it about 2 inches from the nock I struggle to bed Tue bow to get the knot up to the nock, it gets the strong taught and I thought it was just still streching once I got it off the tree but the knot is just righting up around the nock Leaving like 4" slack and I just xnt know how to fix it
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 09:23:03 am »
Its a your timber hitch slipping. Maybe try to make a new string for this bow with two loops. Or, practice tying your timber hitch. How old are you and how tall are you?

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »
17, 6'2"
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2013, 03:37:57 pm »
Alright so your not a sissy then. Got that cleared up. You shouldnt be grunting to low brace that bow. Just by the dimenions Ive given you I dont believe its more than 55-60# right now. Are you using the push/pull method to brace it? If your not. Google pictures and learn to do it properly. I believe its the best and only way to treat any self bow. Get the bow low braced with a good timber hitch. 2-3" will work for now. Get your bathroom scales handy in the garage as well. Your getting close now.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2013, 04:56:57 pm »
One of us must have messed up on dimenisions somewhere, I lookedup how brace it w/ push pull and I could still only get it to 1.25"
And I get unbrace it now! O.o

My knot did that around my nock and I can't get it off!
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 05:10:00 pm »
Alright I had my dad bend it so I could loosen it up and I got it off. I feel like it really shouldn't be a 2 man operation to get it off of one nock
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.