Author Topic: Can't get started in making a bow  (Read 43928 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Can't get started in making a bow
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 07:57:36 pm »
Now your catching on. From the side your bow will 1/2" in the center thinning down to 7/16" at the tips. Are you seeing how both your width and thickness tapers change together now? That creates an EVEN, smooth bend while allowing the bow to narrow towards its tips. Get that done and its time to cut string grooves in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 09:39:33 pm »
Listen to Pearly about the thickness taper of the limb.  He finely got that beat into my head and it really helps.  I take my ferriors rasp and taper the limbs down evenly.  When it comes time to tiller, there aren't any suprises, its already got a nice bend to it.  Then its just some fine tuning and removing wood to get to your weight.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dmc

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:44:51 pm »
Now your catching on. From the side your bow will 1/2" in the center thinning down to 7/16" at the tips. Are you seeing how both your width and thickness tapers change together now? That creates an EVEN, smooth bend while allowing the bow to narrow towards its tips. Get that done and its time to cut string grooves in.
I really like how easy you are making this sound Pearl Drums. I usually suffer paralysis by analysis, and end up not doing anything. Good advice on this thread.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:54 pm »
I really like how easy you are making this sound Pearl Drums. I usually suffer paralysis by analysis, and end up not doing anything. Good advice on this thread.
Really good advice, I suffer through the same thing but this makes it almost easy (so far)
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 01:20:52 am »
If you can't get the nerve up take a snort of whiskey and dive in.   >:D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 06:20:04 pm »
Alright, i got the thickness tapered down as evenly as I can
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 06:31:38 pm »
Come back 1" off each tip and file in string grooves at 45 degree angles towards the belly, they should be deep enough to hold your string.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:38 pm »
towards the belly as in \_______/  ?
                                      n  belly  n
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 06:35:28 pm »
Like this.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 06:39:24 pm »
Which side should be my belly, or does it not matter?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 06:58:24 pm »
The belly always faces the archer, the back always faces the target. No matter what bow or who made it. In your case the back is the portion you havent touched on that board. You rasped your thickness taper in on the belly. The back of a bow never gets touched until its time to sand. All tillering and wood removal will be on the belly from here out.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 08:05:34 pm »
The belly always faces the archer, the back always faces the target. No matter what bow or who made it. In your case the back is the portion you havent touched on that board. You rasped your thickness taper in on the belly. The back of a bow never gets touched until its time to sand. All tillering and wood removal will be on the belly from here out.
Got that done, they are a bit offset but it shouldn't cause a problem. What next?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »
Get a bow string in the 68" length range. Im guessing you have to tree or board to tiller with?

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 08:50:39 pm »
Is this good enough?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
Good enough. Next one you make you need to angle those slots upward so the string cant slip out any way.