Author Topic: Intro and tillering ?  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
Intro and tillering ?
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:31:24 am »
Hi all,
  I'm a longtime trad shooter, but recently I've become interested in making a bow or three. I'm a Registered Maine Guide and bamboo flyrod maker, so basic woodworking is within my ability, I think. I just recieved a selfbow in trade and noticed that it seemed tillered more like a lam bow than most of the selfbows I see on here. Should I be concerned about it or just go and shoot it.

TIA for any help,

FWIW, I love the way this bow draws. Very smooth and clean. 44#'s @ 26"

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:33:48 am by Canerod »
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

snakebow

Re: Intro and tillering ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:42:16 am »
I would shoot it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:13:33 pm »
Welcome aboard, first of all a full draw picture will help also what is the bow made of?
By all means make your own bow but be warned its addicting ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 12:35:52 pm »
Welcome Kevin. You have come to the right place. ;) If you can build split bamboo fly rods, you should have no problems with primitive and traditional wood bow building...and as Dana said, be warned, it is addictive. ;D
   A full draw picture is the best way to tell how a wood bow is tillered. The bow you have posted does look like it is bending more in the middle of each limb instead of through out the limbs. Any changes you make to this bow will reduce the draw weight considerable so your best bet would be to start a new bow from scratch. Please ask any and all questions you may have and we will do our best to answer the for you. Around here the only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked.
Again, welcome aboard!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 07:56:07 pm »
Boy oh boy Pat I have a ton of dumb questions ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Canerod

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:12:06 pm »
Thanks!
  I don't want to change this one, since it's already 44#@26", osage, and it's from a friend of mine. I'll try to get a pic of full draw when I can. I would like to start making selfbows, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much  :o  That's how I got started guiding 24 years ago and making bamboo rods 6 years ago. The last thing I need is another hobby/infatuation right now. I stay poor enough with the ones I have right now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:11:07 pm by Canerod »
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 09:59:56 pm »
Careful Kevin, the addiction turns into full blown illness after awhile ;D. You'll be running off the road checking out trees before ya know it.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:21:46 am »
Knowing how to make a bamboo hex laminated fly rod will come in handy making arrows. See Ionian's post about hex shafts a short while ago.
   You are already hooked. You might as well give in. ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 12:39:46 pm »
Welcome aboard,You will like it here I am sure.What Pat said on the tiller on the bow ,but
is hard to tell without a full draw picture.If it shoots good I would leave it anyway and make one of yourself,nothing like your first one completed and shot. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:45:47 pm »
Got any pics of any of your cane rods? Would love to see them.
Gordon

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 01:03:44 pm »
Hi,

The bow looks whip tillered at brace, but full draw pics would be valuable. Building your own trad bows is very addictive!

Offline Canerod

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 07:37:58 pm »
Thanks everyone! I'm fighting the urge for the time being, since I have orders for rods to be built this winter and a fairly full guiding schedule this deer season. Here's a couple of my rods.....

First, a 7' 5wt 2/2 copy of a Garrison 201E

and a 7'6" 5wt based on the Young Perfectionist

Sorry for the non-primitive archery pics, but I love to show off some of my rods.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline cowboy

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:03:43 am »
Hmm - I'll go out on a limb here and say you could probably build a bow ;D. Nice fishin gear!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Canerod

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 08:57:16 am »
Thanks cowboy! My biggest fear is that I'll like it as much as rodmaking. How long does it take to make a selfbow? An average rod takes 60 hours or more, but I have some downtime while glues and finishes dry.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 09:27:35 am »
Not sure about total of hours to build one, then it all depends if you cut your own stave or using a board. Plus what type bow, backed or not, tips. Simple self bow from stave two or three months, all depends on how ya go about it for curing the wood. Bow from board - haven't tried that yet.