Author Topic: Bow trade primer (Osage character with skins)  (Read 2099 times)

Stringman

Bow trade primer (Osage character with skins)
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »
Since my daughter got sick on Tuesday I have had a lot of time in the garage this week. This project was needin finished up so I just focused on it till I got it done. This piece of Osage has fought me the whole way. With splinters and stiff spots and coming in light I was puttin my big boy pants on just to get this one to final tiller.

The handle has natural deflex and the stave went thru several heat sessions before I layed the gun down for good. In the end, she came out at 64" ttt and 45# @ 28". Very please with the authority with which this bow slings an arrow. There appears to be a stiff spot in the mid to outer section of the upper limb, but I left it alone cause of the way the wood flows around the knot hole. The bow is backed with a single rat snake skin and the tips once again are mesquite. I opted for off the knuckle due to where the string tracks on this bow.

Critiques welcome. I'm still learning.

Stringman

Re: Bow trade primer (Osage character with skins)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:23 pm »
Here's the money shot...

Thanks for looking!
Scott

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:37 pm »
You asked for it Scott ol' friend! You did great on all of it except that hinge and major flat limb you mentioned. That really needs to move a little more or your bow will start caving in on you man. Its osage and tempered so it let you get this far.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:54:50 pm »
Yep bring it on, no worries here...

Well you're seeing the same spot I am then. It looks better in the last 2 pics so I have tried to convince myself that I could leave it. I think what I will try is narrowing the limbs there around the knot as it seems the extra width is causing the stiffness.

Scott

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:44 pm »
Good plan, if that doesnt work start scraping the thickness til she bends nice and even. Your on the right track with your thoughts.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:29 pm »
The reason it looks better in the last two pics is because of your camera angle...its not straight on and at the same level as the bow is...the tiller tree pics says it all because its straight on....granted it might look a tad better in hand because of the way we hold a bow is different pressures than a tiller trees...honestly I'm so anal I don't think I could let that go myself personally...that being said it is osage and might be ok.....are you getting a jolt in your hand?...you have to be.

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:13:51 pm »
Yes there was a touch of shock, but not bad.

I did some more scraping and sanding. Here's a look at both sides.

Scott

Offline randman

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:00:58 pm »
That's lookin a lot better Stringman. That's a tough stave. One thing I've done before with success is to scoop out the belly side of that knot a tiny bit (it looks a tiny bit thicker there) rather than reducing width there. I've found with my stuff, scooping on a knot area relieves a little pressure on the belly side and allows the knot area to bend ever so slightly. I've found that works a little better than leaving a knot area much stiffer. Still looks like a little flat spot just between the knot and the slightly hingy handle fade.
It definitely looks a little different from flipping one side to the other (looks better in the bottom one of the last 2). I always have to look at my bows from both side as on side may look a bit hingy in a spot that looks fine from the other side.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 10:14:23 pm »
I think it looks AWESOME!  Good job with that dude!  I have a hard time being patient when it comes to using the heat gun multiple times.  That bow is sweet!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?