Author Topic: Final Tiller on Mary Rose replica  (Read 16446 times)

Offline YewArcher

Final Tiller on Mary Rose replica
« on: October 20, 2007, 08:19:33 pm »
I have made seveal ELB's but this is my first atempt at a war bow. I built this using JD's build along back about 5 months ago. I am just getting the chance to finish it up and am looking to you experts that frequent here for advise and thoughts.

The bow is 75" nock to nock. Follows 5:6 Ratio Center of bow being 1 7/16". Pacific Yew.

The bow is Pulling 100@29". I am shooting for 110@32". I cannot yet get it back t 32" I am working into it.

I am wokring myself and the bow back to 32" and would like your thoughts on the tiller prior to proceeding. I would like it to check out before pulling that last few inches.

This pic represents a 29" draw:

After I finish the bow I will post up a good write up about the bow and the arrows etc....

Thanks in advance for your help,

SJM

Offline Loki

Re: Final Tiller on Mary Rose replica
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:48:15 am »
Cant really comment on the tiller (looks ok to me but i've never made a bow  ;D) but you'll have to alter your shooting style to shoot it at 32" comfortably.You may injure yourself pulling 100lbs Butt Bow style  ;D, getting into the Bow isnt hard to do it just takes a bit of practice.

Pax
Durham,England

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 04:34:52 pm »
Looks good so far :-)

BTW - I have only made 3 bows myself so I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination
but this may start off the discussion anyway ;-)

It looks to me like your bow is bending a lot at the tips and I worry it may over strain them if you take it to 32"

Here is a picture I took of my bow when I was trying to work out how it should be tillered which may help to explain?
it shows a circle which is what I believe we are aiming for

Yours I think you would be best removing a bit of wood around the red area on this picture to take some strain off the tips
although there is always the danger of reducing the weight too much, so maybe taking a bit of the length of the bow may be a better option?

but, I am as interested as you to hear what the experts advise ?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:44:24 pm by alanesq »

a finnish native

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:38:05 pm »
the tips do come around quite a bit comparing to the area between them. I am no expert with war bows though..

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 01:58:46 pm »
Hi,
I agree, it's a bit whip tillered for a warbow. If you want to bring it further, get it bending more thru the handle. Bring the whole length around "full circle." If you try and bring it back more, you might break it, or cause a hinge. It'll be nice to shoot like it is, but it won't be a true "warbow."
Get "into" the draw a bit. Bend your knees, and round your back some, bending slightly forward at the waist. You're gonna rupture something shooting that heavy a bow with a straight up target style draw!  Nice bow, otherwise!

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 04:57:13 pm »
I would say the bottom limb looks a little weak in the last ten inches and maybe a little stiff between there and the handle and that is being a bit picky. It may be a good idea to take a few picks with slightly differing hand positions. Putting your hand half an inch or so higher on the bow may make a fiar amount of difference to the shape. Also, take more than one picture at full draw and look for an average. Bow shape can look different in different pictures, against different backgrounds etc. Whatever you do, you are only a few small scrapes away.
Your shooting stance looks fine to me. Some heavy bow archers stick their bums out, some don't. Mark Stetton sticks everthing out, Simon Stanley draws about as heavy a bow and has a relaxed upright stance like you do. Stick with what feels comfortable for you.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:28:09 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.

Here is the final tiller on the bow:

SJM

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:26:43 am »
Hey, that looks better! Not so whip tillered. Bending nicely!
What are the final numbers? Did you actually retiller, or just a different camera angle?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:28:21 am by adb3112 »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 09:07:22 am »
Looks good Yew, nice bow.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:11:43 am »
Thanks guys,

The tiller was completed. The bow is 88#@32". That shot above is drawing to 29". Did not do the full 32" in the living room. Just in case....

Will be piking her in the next few weeks as I get her shot in to try and get it back to 95# or so. I had made up some 1/2" tapered oak shafts hoping for a heavier bow. I will need to now make up some 3/8" due to the light weight.

Will be finishing her up this weekend. Bees Wax.

SJM

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 01:20:06 pm »
Hi,

Ooohh... give some serious consideration to piking that bow!!! Leave her as is. She looks good. If you want a heavier one, build another. Sell it... to me. How much?
 Perfection is the enemy of good.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 02:08:09 pm »
lol abd!

You may just be right. I may just leave her as is. i will certainly build another and this can be my warm up bow. I am sorry though. I cannot sell bows. I love making them but as soon as I started selling them for money i think i would not enjoy making them anymore.

I am glad that you like it!

SJM

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 02:12:28 pm »
Hi,
I'm employed full time as a paramedic, and a bowyer hobbyist. I started selling some of my bows about 2 years ago, because people asked. It's still a hobby, and I make and sell as I choose. I think it has taken my bow making skills to the next level. It will never escalate to the point where it becomes work. Nothing wrong with selling a bow here and there! Reconsider?

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 03:53:21 pm »
Yes, I understand I get solicited to build bows all the time. Maybe one day. i would love to leave my current profession and do it full time though....maybe one day.

I am afraid i am gonna have to keep this one. At leats for now. I have never made a bow this heavy and really need to see how this one will be long term. I would hate to sell something that I am not experienced in and heavy bows like this are very new to me as a bowyer. I am not sure how much set this bow will take, if it will loose weight quickly, if it even has good performance pound for pound. Until I figure that all out and build quite a few more and feel comfortable with the design I would not even give one away. I would feel terriable if anything happened to it or you. These bows are big and scay and if it lest go....ohhhhh man look out.

I am fairly certain that it will not. That is my bowyers experince talking but at the same time this is a new animal for me.

Hope that makes sence.

SJM

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 08:24:22 am »
Turned out nice. On your next one keep the outer limb stiff then as you tiller out the final couple inches of draw you can soften them up.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com