Author Topic: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine  (Read 81025 times)

Offline Dane

Re: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2007, 08:08:52 pm »
Dane i got this message from UNRV,it appears it may be a few weeks until i can get the paint info to you,Sorry mate.

Andy,Forgive me for this intrusion to your PM Inbox. Pertinax has asked me to pass on a message to you saying he will be off forum for a short while but will help you as soon as he can when he returns.

That is all I know so I assume you will know what he means. Can you let me know you get this OK?
Brian

No worries at all, Andy. Thanks for what you are doing. It will be some time before I paint the machine, after all.

I just glued up the belly rest tonight, and finally got the front tenon in nice and tight up front. The slider is planed to it's correct width, as well. Whew. Many miles to go before I sleep, the old saying goes, and lots more to do still. The journey here is certainly as much fun as the destination. And when it is all done, I start a new machine!

Oh yes, and I am still working on the large scorpion, too. Can't forget that.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Loki

« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2007, 08:19:38 pm »
Your going great guns!
I didnt know you were making a Scorpion too,are you going on a campaign? >:D

I saw this beast a few years ago at warwick Castle,thats a machine to make your eyes water!

Ignore the idiot talking (hate it when they do that!).
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=thiTa8wfZsc
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2007, 09:13:10 pm »
"On my signal, release Hell."

Yeah, a retard he is :)

Not sure if I am going on campaign. How about we meet up and then take the tunnel to France, eh? : Errr, Land of the Gauls.

Seriously, Legio III will have 5 artillary pieces, the Atomic ballista (we fondly call it), the scorpion, the small manuballista, an onigar that is small but fun, and finally, a metal framed inswinger another guy is building.

And then, we will..."release Hell." :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:15:36 pm by Dane »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2007, 09:17:05 pm »
Dane I might suggest Lansing, MI it is definately in need of an overthrow. Send General Davenport
with weapons of mass destruction ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Loki

« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2007, 09:20:01 pm »
 >:D Smelly Gauls!

The hunt for Roman paint has taken a new twist,Brian is now on the case also  ;D.

Here's his PM to me.

]Salve Andy

I may be able to find something out myself on this one for you if I can trace a guy that still works for Tyne and Wear Museums. The guys name is Roger Oram andhe does all the painting of the reconstructed buildings using genuine Roman techniques. Only when some colours are not strictly known about will he use synthetics. The guy is brilliant at what he does... I knew him personally from when I was at Segedunum Roman Fort.

Anyway, if I find out anything I will let you know. Even if it is just a contact address.
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2007, 09:36:17 pm »
Dana, okay, Lansing it is. General Davenport is honored to take command of our army.

Andy! Wow, this is so cool. I'm really exicited..thank everyone involved for me from the wastelands of Nova Brittania, on of the more backward provinces. Using authentic Roman painting materials and techniques will be a lot of fun to learn and apply. For lots of projects!

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2007, 11:40:12 am »
Salve Dane,
Brian has made some progress on the paint,did you receive his email (i hope i gave him the right address  ???).

Here's some info for you... I was walking through Newcastle City Centre yesterday when Roger Oram (who is the guy I mentioned may help Dane with his search for Roman painting techniques) walked past me and when I realised it was him I chased him up. I now have his personal email address and he is willing to answer any questions Dane may have.

Happy solstice foks!
Durham,England

Offline DanaM

« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2007, 11:43:23 am »
Loki, I'm pretty sure Dane is in Califonia with his folks for the holidays.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2007, 05:56:42 pm »
Andy, Brian did indeed write to me, and I responded! Thanks so much.

I will be leaving tomorrow evening, Dana, but will have access to a computer at my parent's house, so I am not entirely in the stone ages! :)

To Dana, Andy, and all, happy soltice and yuletide.

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2007, 05:27:50 pm »
Happy Christmas!  ;D
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2008, 10:39:08 pm »
I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Here is what is new. I made up two bow arms, using the formula of the spring diameter x7. They are not finished, so keep that in mind. I am still messing about with how they will be inserted into the spring skein, and I may alter the ends. No notches yet for the sting too, of course.

These springs are simulations or mockups which I made so the machine could be displayed at an armor museum this past weekend. I made these out of jute twine. The real springs will be larger horsehair rope, and the entire holes will be filled. The little ash blocks you see the twine wrapped around over and over will be bronze and iron. Just using my fingers, I could only manage to twist the springs about 1/8th, so I can see these will be really powerful.

Attached are some shots. Oh, I did modify the belly brace, cutting about 4" off each end. It looks better, and is more handy now.

Dane

Oh, in case you were wondering, the shot of Millard Canyon has nothing to do with the machine. On my trip back to LA, my wife and I did this easy hike on my birthday on the 24th. It is one of my favorite places, in the front San Gabriel range. This spot is only a few miles from Pasadena, actually. About 1/4 mile up farther in the canyon is a 50 foot waterfall, a rare thing in Southern California.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2008, 07:02:51 am »
Welcome back Dane and  happy belated birthday. I see the boss was watching ya again ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2008, 02:58:21 pm »
Gen. Davinport and his command are looking great. ;D
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Dane

« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2008, 03:51:36 pm »
Thanks guys. Being 45 is not toooo bad, I guess.

Thanks about Davenport. She took her first airplane ride going to LA a couple of weeks ago. Having to leave her behind would have been no good. She is helping out, and it looks like a full sized catapult in comparison to her size. Enemy poodles beware!

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2008, 01:50:11 pm »
... She ... her ... She ... her ...

ooops :-[  Sorry, but seeing her next to the manuballista is like dressing a baby boy in pink.   :o

I'll get it right next time.  The repitition helps.  Sorry, again, I know I hated it when people used to call my son, Wolf, a girl, even when he was dressed in blue.   ;)
Steve in LV, NV