Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 566060 times)

Offline Dictionary

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #855 on: March 10, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »
Kinda surprised that everyone likes that plan b bow.
Dictionary, if i remember right it is 58" long, thats all im sayin. I dont wanna give too many hints.
Greg, the best therapy I know of is workin on a wooden stick and that hhb sounds like its gonna be a good one. Ive searched high and low for a straight hhb tree around here but am yet to fin one that wasnt twisted all to heck.

There are a lot of crooked,ugly HHB trees around here, but there are also a couple of pipe straight ones. Although the pipe straight ones have character to them as well usually.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #856 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:58 pm »
Check in time.  Just putting the finishing coats on mine, then make a handle,string etc. Am trying to get it to my recipient before April.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #857 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:31 pm »
      check in for me also, I think I went a little to fast w/hackberry. I've been working it from green. taking my time. got it bending to 50#@ 29#. started out with 2.5" reflex now its 2.75" behind grip. live and learn, put that one in the corner and go to plan "b" and start plan "c" think I will go straight to"c".

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #858 on: March 10, 2013, 09:25:17 pm »
Planning on getting plan A on a short string tommorrow. Hopfully my progress will speed up then. Im not going to rush it though. Havnt started on plan B yet. Hopfully i wont need to. Theres a whole lot of great bows being made.  ;D
Steve Bennett

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #859 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:46 am »
Well it was looking so good,fast and smooth, and prefect weight 52@27 but O well that's bow building. ;) :) Moving on to plane B. Persimmon didn't make the cut. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #860 on: March 11, 2013, 07:32:03 am »
Pappy, I like your pic sequence.  And I see, its back to osage.  Sorry 'bout the persimmon.

Got mine spliced and on the form, yesterday.  We'll see how it looks soon as I send the boy off to school.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #861 on: March 11, 2013, 07:40:20 am »
Ahhh......cursed whitewood....it can break your heart....sorry pappy...looks like you found the yeller cure tho ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #862 on: March 11, 2013, 08:08:35 am »
Bet ya plan B turns out just fine Pappy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #863 on: March 11, 2013, 09:22:51 am »
Spliced my Plan A billets Saturday then shaped the handle, trued up the edges and cleaned up the belly and dug out the loosies in the knot on Sunday in prep for stave corrections.  Worked late on the form last night and unclamped this morning.  Ready to start tillering.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #864 on: March 11, 2013, 09:28:20 am »
Matt, is that a pyramid design?  If so, what are the specs you used, and what are you looking to end up at?

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #865 on: March 11, 2013, 10:16:12 am »
SS:  Its not supposed to be.  The heavy knots just out of the fades make it look that way.  Though, it does still have pyramid possibilities!  Currently though, after I faded out of the knots, the limbs are 1-1/2" to midlimb then tapered to 1/2" at the tips.  Tip to tip its 64-1/2" long.  Where I'm ending up is a "secret".   >:D
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #866 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
Yeah, well I should have known better than to ask that......lol....sorry.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #867 on: March 11, 2013, 02:01:56 pm »
Looks great Matt.........  for a minute there I thought you were going to tiller around that roller coaster ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #868 on: March 11, 2013, 02:24:05 pm »
Thank you guys! Did some sanding on the hhb to slick up the back and corners, guess I'll start putting some arrows through it now. It's holding a good three inches of reflex, should shoot good. Hopefully won't follow suit with Pappy's white wood bow. One of the first things Pappy told me concerning bow making was..."gotta have fire!".  ;)

As for the other thing, I have a lady in my life that I think god for blessing me with...she's very supportive. A few things need to fall in place first, then we'll see. Kind of exciting to even be thinking about it!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #869 on: March 11, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »
I have the hickory ready for tiller.  Should it not make it, I'll go to plan C which is an Osage.  Not a lot of time between now and the Classic to finish it unless I start making trips to Twin Oaks on Weekdays, which I may do if I can find out when Pappy or the other guys are going to be there.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee