Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 565952 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #1005 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »
And you know I would post pics of the willow and paracord!  And more importantly,  I'd deny ever receiving any second bow!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #1006 on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:15 pm »
JW....Thanks, but I'm not deserving of that.  I like this bow.  Maybe as much or more as any I've ever made, (I think I feel that way on most of 'em), but I look at the bows being made by many on PA, and I'm humbled.  I struggle to some degree with every bow I make and this one's been no exception.  It shoots good, lite in the hand, and I think it will hold together.  Tillers good but could be better.  Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.  But a model of some kind it's not.   No Sir. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1007 on: March 28, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »
And you know I would post pics of the willow and paracord!  And more importantly,  I'd deny ever receiving any second bow!!!

and i'd deny sending one >:D ;D

slimbob it's a well made and tillered bow, lots of guys on here could use that as a model ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #1008 on: March 28, 2013, 07:33:05 pm »
Thanks bubby.  Use one of Blackhawks, Pearl Drums, bubbys, weylins, PatBs, PatMs, Keenans, misslemasters, Badly Bents, JWs, Osage Outlaws, simsons etc...Lot's to choose from.  Better models.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #1009 on: March 28, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »
Sweet tiller Bob....  That will make somebody very happy...  maybe me  O:)

I know what yo mean Bob I've made some bows that look pretty darn good but then you make one and shoot it for the Ohhhhhhh my ain't that sweet feeling :)

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1010 on: March 29, 2013, 06:12:36 am »
Tiller looks good to me. Not ready to ship yet but did get the skins sealed and the handle and shelf finished.Plan on putting te brain tanned grip on this weekend and then just need to shoot a bit more , zero in on the weight and seal it all up.Getting close.[I hope] ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1011 on: March 29, 2013, 09:31:42 am »
Looks good slimbob! Got mine with first coat sealer on...deciding on what type of grip to make. Been busy this week since getting married Sunday...haven't been able to spend much time on the bow. May find some time today to add another coat or two of sealer, and maybe work on a grip.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #1012 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:08 am »
congrats Greg.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #1013 on: March 29, 2013, 10:26:09 am »
Congratulations Greg.  Bow building while in the "honeymoon" phase.....sweet.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #1014 on: March 29, 2013, 10:34:01 am »
Got this mulberry ready to start putting the finish on. Came in at the low end of my recipients request for draw weight so I have a
very similar bow from buckthorn nearly finish tillered that may become the one to send. I'll show them both when finished and
maybe let you guys help me decide.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #1015 on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:22 am »
Very nice Greg.  Sweet bend in the bad boy.  Got a Mulberry stave drying now that I want to tackle this summer.  May call on you for some insight as I've never worked Mulberry.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #1016 on: March 29, 2013, 11:46:49 am »
I'm liking that Mulberry, very nice tiller !!!

I've done a couple Mulberry's and I love the caramel color they take on with age....

Since we have the time I may add one more to the list of possibles.... cut this one in half flipped it and did a Z splice..... a bit of  snake and linesup pretty good....  we'll see

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #1017 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:44 pm »
Wow !!!  Have you ever picked up a bow for the first time, grabbed a batch of arrows, sent them on there way only to see about as a perfect group as you are capable of producing???

I got home today and found a tube on the porch. It had address from Ontario Canada!!!! I opened the tube that actually came with instructions “open here and slide off over tips” …  got the open here part but slide??? NOT, this thing was wrapped like a mummy!!! Once I was successful I saw a sweet Red Elm bow…. Tips so refined they could double as spearheads and a fitted grip with a leather wrap that was done perfectly. The string looks to be fast flight with fur?? Silencers. The string quality is excellent and looks like it will last a very long time. The limbs were trapped and the handle shows the rich caramel center of the elm heart.

Now the best part and this is not an exaggeration…….  This bow for me is about as accurate and repeatable a bow as I have ever shot. It has a mellow feel but sends an arrow with plenty of speed, no shock, whisper quiet and a rare ability to eat arrows in a fairly wide spine range!!! This is a very unusual thing for me and selfbows. Normally I need to play around a bit to find that spine sweet spot but this is not the case here.

I have a half dozen Red Elm staves in the shop and this bow has me excited about the prospect of what might be produced though this will be hard to compete with.

We have some quality bowyers here on PA and I feel extremely fortunate that Jeremy Loranger, who by the way lives on Kipps lane, drew my name for the trade…. I'll post a shooter video when the weather and time permit…..

Jeremy Thank You so much for the thought and craftsman ship you put into this bow. I will hunt this one for sure!!!!

Kipp

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #1018 on: March 30, 2013, 12:09:45 am »
That is one smooth looking bow you got there Kip, real nice work Jeremy. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #1019 on: March 30, 2013, 01:30:18 am »
Nice!congratulations
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...