Author Topic: Its just one of those days (buckthorn warbow)  (Read 3727 times)

Offline RyanY

Its just one of those days (buckthorn warbow)
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:48 pm »
Posting this here so the Marty Jam folks will see it. Finished up my buckthorn warbow or so I thought. Before taking pictures I had drawn the bow on the tree to check for draw weight and also make sure the pins at the arrow pass wouldn't compromise the bow. Held the bow for a solid 3 seconds at full draw and everything was fine. Went out to take the pictures and at full draw I hear a very loud crack. The picture probably shows my face while experiencing physical strain and despair. Sure enough I got a lift right at a small knot on the lower limb. I'm sure it'll survive after I superglue it and wrap it but its so disappointing. The wood is so beautiful and I hate that it'll be covered up by a large patch. I have to say that this buckthorn is probably the most beautiful wood I've ever worked with. Huge thank you to Cody (misslemaster) for letting me have it. Well anyways here's the pics I got. The bow is 76" ntn and over 105#@32". Tips are bone. I don't feel like taking the dimensions right now but if anyone would like them please ask. Thanks for looking guys.  :-\

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Its just one of those days (buckthorn warbow)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »
Ryan I would thin some rawhide down and just cover the whole back. Never have to worry again and you can avoid the wrap. Between you three working on buckthorn and me having one now? I believe its time to get after it next!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:12:43 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:14:34 pm »
Good idea Chris. With the number of knots on the back of it, it might be a matter of time before another one goes. I'll need to get me some rawhide.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:13:04 pm »
Great job on her Ryan! Another thing you could do is to wrap the crack in glue soaked silk thread and do the same thing on the upper limb so it looks like you meant for it to be there! :D You are probably the first one to build a bow with that high of poundage using that wood! I have never worked yew, but from what I understand if it had been yew it would have blew up instead of just lifting a splinter. When you push wood to its limits sometimes these things happen >:D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:11:14 pm »
Thanks Cody! It's the timing of the issues that drains me. Second time this week I've had a break while taking the full draw pic. With all the other pins on the back I think I'll go with the rawhide but thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll be making my next buckthorn bow a wee bit lighter.  ::)

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:23 pm »
Dang splinters....at least its salvageable and didn't explode into pieces...just goes to show how good this wood is. My R/D osage turned out 52@26" n spitting an area nicely...n I reflexed the outer thirds on my buckthorn and its low braced and out to approx 18"...ill prob get her shooting tomorrow lord willing,and start sealing the osage. Then finish off that holey bow.

Pearly I think your gonna be liking this buckthorn,and gonna be pestering Cody for more ;) ...this is my second one and I'm loving it.

Ryan I know All about them breaks while snapping pics...its happened a few times to me ::)

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:38:52 pm »
All this talk of buckthorn bows makes me really want to try one.  I looked on the net quick to see where it grew, and sadly I will have to wait until I move back to WI in July to get some.  Apparently it doesn't grow in GA.  Thanks for more inspiration.

Kyle

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:34 pm »
Wow sorry about the splinter but sure is a sweet bow. Love the buckthorn

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:56:25 pm »
At that weight you really gotta have a perfect back. I would think twice about going through with the repair. If you do, combed flax fiber would be your number one bet. See tim bakers chapter in TBB, regarding a "hing patch".
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:16:58 pm »
Nice bow Ryan, hope the repair keeps her alive. I agree with you that the buckthorn is some beautiful and fine bow wood. I got one in the vice now that I'm going to great lengths to heat straighten into a bow, even though it is probably too twisted for me to get a bow
out of it I can't abandon it and move on. ;)
Let us know how the fix goes on your warbow.

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:01 pm »
Ouch!  Bummer deal, Ryan.   :(  If you need some rawhide, let me know when you come over.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:35 pm »
Super nice bow Ryan, to bad about the splinter but it happens... I think you're right about that buckthorn. It sure is beautiful :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:55:15 pm »
Still a sweet bow !!
Good job!!
I think you have launched this wood into a new standing !!
Both as a warbow and in the eyes of those watching !!
See ya at Marshall !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline RyanY

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:13:13 pm »
Thanks guys. Hopefully we'll be seeing more pics of this bow in action in the future after it gets a big band-aid!

blackhawk, That osage bow was awesome. Can't wait to see it finished. It seems like fate would have it that we take pics of broken bows!

TMK, Thanks for the advice. I'm familiar with the patch but I think I'm going to have to go with the rawhide. With all the small pins on the back of this thing I don't want to worry about something like this again.

Matt, I'll definitely be needing some! Thank you!  :)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 10:29:12 pm »
Try changing clothes at least every bow. It might change your luck. >:D

Cool bow non the less. 8)
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley