Linked Events

• A central KY mini bowyer get together: February 19, 2013 - February 21, 2013

Author Topic: A central KY mini bowyer get together  (Read 49437 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A central KY mini bowyer get together
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2013, 10:56:38 pm »
What day are you coming down Steve?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2013, 12:13:08 am »
Great to here you're coming down, Seabass.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline seabass

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:15 pm »
i think me and Bear are going to come down that saturday.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2013, 01:31:46 am »
AWESOME guys.  Of you know Hawky will have 2 bows completed and every twisty osage on the place split into staves by the time you arrive.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2013, 09:20:55 pm »
I cut some firewood today, so we can keep the workshop as toasty as we can stand it.  I set out the 3-d targets.  Things are coming along.  I didn't shoot the course, darkness over took me.  Maybe I fling an arrow or two this weekend.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »
One more week for me  8)

What if everyone tried to bring a 3d target n make a longer course? Mines pretty shot out tho?  ::)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2013, 10:45:16 pm »
Sure the more target the more fun.  Shot out is fine with me.  I usually hit them in the rump anyway, when I hit them at is.  :)

Anyone bring a target please let me know in advance so I can bushhog an area for it.  Otherwise, any missed targets will result in a lost arrow.

Hawky, I'm looking forward to it.  I figure you and I will grab a chainsaw and take a stroll around the farm early Friday morning before anyone else arrives.  ;)

I still need to do a cleaning of the honeymoon cottage for you and Outlaw.  haha

BTW, Schuy, my wife is teaching a course in Lexington that weekend.  She decided getting a hotel room there would work well for her.  So we have the whole place for a guys weekend, other than the exotic dancers who are coming over Saturday.   >:D 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:06 pm »
All I have is a block target but I can bring it if you want me to.  I plan on getting there real early Friday morning.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2013, 01:24:10 am »
Clint, I have block target.  It's a bit "weathered" but it still stops and arrow.  If you get here and we're not at the house, listen for the chainsaw or call me.  I'll keep my cell phone on me.  859-582-2603.

I think I've posted my address, already, but here it is again:
565 Stoney Run Rd
Richmond, KY 40475
If you're using mapquest remember TURN RIGHT into the gravel driveway when it saids you're here.

Directions might help, also:
Since most of you are coming from the north, I'll give directions from that point of view.
Take I-75 south to exist 95.  If coming from the south take I-75 north to exit 95.
Turn on hwy 627 toward Winchester.  Those coming from the north turn left.  Those coming from the south turn right.
Go about 3 miles, you'll see a sign for hwy 3377.  Slow down it comes ups quickly.
Turn right on 3377.
3377 crosses a railroad track then T's to a stop
Turn left at the T and go about 3 more miles.
Stoney Run Rd is on the right.  Turn onto Stoney Run Rd.
Go about 2.5 miles out Stoney Run. You'll see a large white metal building with an antique John Deere on a dirt ramp in front of it. Go to the next driveway and turn RIGHT.  There's a large black mailbox with 565 on the left side of the road across from my driveway.  Turn RIGHT in front of the mailbox.  If you haven't gotten it yet, my driveway is on the RIGHT.
The driveway is 1/2 mile long.  You won't see the house from the road.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2013, 09:20:41 pm »
To all the new bowyers going to Dave's, is there anything in particular that you would like to see a demonstration on?  I'm going to bring the stuff to put snake skins on a bow if anyone wants to see how its done, or at least how I do it.  If there is something else you want to see let us know.  I'm sure Blackhawk wouldn't mind helping out as well.

blackhawk

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 10:36:12 pm »
Thanks for volunteering me pal  ;)...sure id help to show a demonstration on how NOT to do something...lol  ;D

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 11:01:15 pm »
I'd like to see how you make a bow that pull 50# at 28" and don't break  ;D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:55 pm »
Blackhawk will show everybody how to turn a piece of firewood into a R/D molly in 3 hours start to finish.  I've seen him do it.

Ozzy, bring both of those osage staves and we will see what we can do.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2013, 10:23:29 am »
Don't expect to start and finish a bow in one weekend.  I'm pretty darn slow with this process.  What I'm looking forward to learning is how to speed up the layout to floor tillering stage of the process.  That's the part of bow building that I agonize over for the most. 

I'm going to make a pot of hide glue and re-sinew a bow.  I'll probably do a demo on my not so primitive method of making a 2-fletched arrow from a bamboo tomato stake.  I have a hhb I got from Blackhawk lat Classic.  I'm hoping he'll give me some pointers on maybe turning that one into a r/d bow.  To my eye, I think that's what the hhb wants to be.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2013, 11:47:54 am »
Dave do you have a bandsaw? Beltsander? That speeds up the process big time....n what do you mean not to expect to have a bow made in a weekend?  ???