Author Topic: opinions..best wood for bow..and how know who's a reputable builder...  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: opinions..best wood for bow..and how know who's a reputable builder...
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 06:47:17 am »
Like others have said ,lots of good wood,as for tough wood Hickory/Osage/Hop horn beam would be my pick.Not sure what you are building or draw length,but you may want to make yours a little longer and see if that helps them hold up until
you really get the feel for making bows. Everyone seems to want to make the really short with a really long draw and it can be done ,evedent on here but it's a lot tougher to get one to stay together unless everything including the wood is prefect.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:34 am »
thanks again guys for your help! appreciate it!  now, although many will say  "you can build a bow"  I know I'd be arrested for abuse to nature for trying..no patience no tools, and I'm a gotta see it done  type...telling reading..ain't gonna work..that's why I asked about builders  lol.. as for length..each bow I've had was 69" long..draw is 28" weight between 45-55 lbs, one bow, riser separated from limbs  (adhesive?) one broke about 1 foot from string nock, and holmegaard cracked 4" from handle..think limbs were hard maple on that.. would eventually love to get a really good custom bow..seen many that shoot very well an look awesome too..just tryingto get an idea of what best to go with..until then I'll try to get something inexpensive to hopefully carry me until I get the funds saved up,,,for  ?? lol  again appreciate all your time an help! RC
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:40 am »
      ok, i here ya about hands on thing, but your ganna have to do some reading. if the money thing gets in the way navigate threw this site and you should be able to find everything (and opinions >:D)you could need.
       sounds like you need a bow, every type or method takes time to investigate. maybe look into a board bow  not because it sounds easy. its that you can find inexpensive material. they make great bows.
       i hope this helps. tutorials help me because they have pictures. :-[
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:06 am »
always envied those that can read and "get it"  doin research is too confusin cause i can't see it an my mind is askin a thousand questions at same time..jus can't see it...some have it, i think ts a gift..bless them!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 11:07:31 am »
Where are you from ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »
ummm...gotta be careful how I answer this..........I'm about 15 miles from Cooperstown,baseball hall of fame,...I'm halfway tween Albany and Syracuse..and right near foothills of the Adirondacks Mts....

yup new york..but not the city!
..Upstate N.Y.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 12:25:31 pm »
I'm in the state south of you  ;)..(love the dacks by the way..I get up there every once in awhile)...there are some guys up your way,but can't think of any names at the moment....but you should have hickory,eastern hophornbeam,elm,oaks,black locust,and several other good woods to look for and start with. Look into investing into a book or two if you can't find anybody in your area to help you out hands on. The Traditional Bowyers Bible vol I and II are good starting point that has pictures and illustrations...also the bent stick by Paul comstock is good and aimed for whitewoods like the woods I mentioned that are available in your area.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 12:44:45 pm »
Best wood? - You will hear osage probably more than any other wood, although there are many woods that make fine bows.

Who is a reputable bowyer? Ask around. The cream usually rises to the top. There's a lot of good company up there. A heap of them are on here!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:04 pm »
Ya I got some friends up just above Buffalo and they say the same thing NOT NY CITY. Just curious,thought if you was close I would be glad to help you out.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »
oh Pappy appreciate that!! but I'd prolly set yer bow buildin skills back 10 years or so...lol
I've seen me..i get in a hurry an its over..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »
Everyone seems to want to make them really short with a really long draw and it can be done ,evident on here but it's a lot tougher to get one to stay together unless everything including the wood is prefect.  :)
    Pappy

Also, the shorter the bow, the less material it takes to effect tiller, which means the more finesse it requires to tiller, and thus the easier it is to mess up the tiller.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair