Author Topic: ELB Horn Nocks  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
ELB Horn Nocks
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:03:55 pm »
I've had a few people asking about horn nocks, and on my blogmy 'horn nock fitting tool' is the most viewed page.
Sooooo I finally bit the bullet and took some video and stills as I spent today doing one on my latest ELB which I'll post in full when it's done.
It's a 2 part 'Horn Nock Instructional'  (both parts are there, but I've linked to part1
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/horn-nock-instructional-part-1.html
Let me know if you think it needs additional info or editing.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: ELB Horn Nocks
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:41:31 pm »
Awesome, it is so appreciated Del, you have no idea. It has never been the easiest thing for me, getting the nocks to fit just right. I tried your sanding tool, and anymore, for me, something like that is essential to get a good fit. I tried to make a sanding tool, but it didn't work that great. I tried one where I drilled the hole in a block of wood, cut with a saw right down the middle of the hole, and shoved a piece of sand paper in the cut. It worked ok, but what I have been doing lately is get it as close as possible with the file side of my farriers rasp, and then shove a corner of sandpaper in the actual drilled horn, just to finish it off and get it perfect. Sometimes I will fold over a bit of the paper, and tape it down with masking tape, to help hold it in there. How do you finish your nocks? What I do with horn, is sand to 2500 grit, then take some baking soda and get it just a bit wet, until it is a hard paste, and take a piece of cotton and polish it with the baking soda. It actually is a pretty good polish, and leaves a pretty nice shine. Although it is probably not near as effective as those smelly polishing compounds you can buy. Then I will just wipe it down very lightly with some beeswax, using a piece of cheese cloth.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:03:24 pm »
Part 2 of the blog shows the polishing. 120, 240 then a buffing wheel.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/horn-nock-instructional-part2.html
Cheers, glad you find it useful.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the tool, it helps, but still doesn't get get you all the way there, it still needs some fiddling around. The tool just helps show where it's tight, it won't do all the work for you.
No substitute for patience! >:(
Del

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 06:21:09 pm »
Awesome Del, thanks for sharing your knowledge and skills.  When i'm ready for full-on horn nocks, I know where to go for the how-to 8)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:26 pm »
Very helpful, Mr. the Cat.  The little tip about the bootlace was worth the price of admission.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:56 pm »
Many smart solutions there,thanks a lot.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 03:22:59 pm »
Thanks for doing this. I know I'll eventually be making some of these and I really like the way you do yours.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:54:19 pm »
Thanks for doing this. I know I'll eventually be making some of these and I really like the way you do yours.
Cheer Ryan...
BTW. I love your weird cable backed asymetric bow , great organic look to it, very sculptural.
No one has taken the bait and asked me what you do get if you cross an Elephant and a Rhino though :'(
Del

Offline jpitts

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
Hi Del, Thanks for putting this online. I want to eventually start making ELB's. Great tips. I'll let someone else bite on your question...LOL's   bit that one long ago  :-)
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:57:30 pm »
Hey Del,

Thanks for sharing this.  Awesome!

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 02:04:32 am »
Cheer Ryan...
BTW. I love your weird cable backed asymetric bow , great organic look to it, very sculptural.
No one has taken the bait and asked me what you do get if you cross an Elephant and a Rhino though :'(
Del

...Ok, what do you get?  :)

Edit: Also, picked up a buffing wheel for my hand drill today after watching your videos. Man do I feel stupid sanding all the way to 2500. It is much faster, with much better results, for like 10 bucks. Thank you again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:08:06 am by toomanyknots »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 04:17:00 am »
Cheer Ryan...
Del

Edit: Also, picked up a buffing wheel for my hand drill today after watching your videos. Man do I feel stupid sanding all the way to 2500. It is much faster, with much better results, for like 10 bucks. Thank you again.

What do you get?
'ell-if-I-know    >:D
Del
PS, you might have to shop around for poloishing compound in sensible small quantities. In the UK I got 1/2 a bar of each compound and the buffing wheels from Highland Horn. I almost made the mistake of only buying one wheel, but the guy explained you need a separate wheel for each.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:08 am »
Cheer Ryan...
Del

What do you get?
'ell-if-I-know    >:D
Del

Awesome.