Author Topic: "Warts and All"  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
"Warts and All"
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:52:11 pm »
I thought I had posted pics of this stave around the first of the year but I couldn't find it anywhere so her we go...
  I started working on getting the bends out around Christmas when she looked like this...

...then this..

...and this...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: "Warts and All"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:39 pm »
Its amazing what can happen in a few short weeks. Here she is now. She's not done yet. Still needs a bit of weight reduction, I'll add a leather arrow rest and sewn leather handle wrap then do the finish work. I'm making this bow for Charlie Jefferson(stringstretcher). Charlie like a "Hill" style bow so I used a deep, narrow handle on an American Longbow style bow...with "warts and all". I still have to reduce the weight for Charlie but I will shoot her in first then tweek the draw weight/length to fit Charlie.
Here she is now...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:04:39 pm »
Nice piece of wood Pat. Charlie is a lucky dude! Let me know when you list gets short enough to add my name...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:06:23 pm »
Pearl, I definitely feel blessed.  That will be a bow that I cherish and use a lot.  Thank you again so very very much Pat.  Simply beautiful. ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:13:27 pm »
That wart hog is lookin' sweet. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:18:50 pm »
Looking sweet! Can't wait to see it all dolled up.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:53:42 pm »
Cool lookin bow Pat... warts and all  :)

Don't think I've seen you do a glue up on a riser before (or maybe just gettin old)? Look great!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »
Ooooh, I hope them warts aren't catching  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline druid

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:57:16 pm »
Great charactered bow!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »
Nice job all around!  Nice bow
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:19:10 pm »
Looking good Pat. Can't wait to see it all dolled up....warts an all,lol.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:25 pm »
Thanks guys. This one has lots and lots of heating and straightening and heating and bending and..well, you know. Lots of manipulation. I'm glad to see it in one piece.
  Kip, it has been many years since I glued up a riser and my first attempt at a deep, Hill style handle...and like the rest of us you are getting old!  ;)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »
Very nice. Are you going to do the leather build up for the handle this time? I am thinking of doing a leather build up after watching how you do it in a couple of your build alongs, and was wondering if you can use any type of leather? I am wondering if I can find some that will be easy to rasp and file. I got some thicker scraps I am thinking of using. I wanted to use cork, but I haven't found any yet. I think home depot has a roll of cork material, which would probably be perfect, but I don't feel like spending 20 bucks right now.  ;D I'm a cheapo...

EDIT: Wait a minute, is that leather on the handle already? Or wood?

EDIT 2: Ok, reread your post, I see you are going with a deep narrow handle. I like that style of handle anymore, as the arrows fly better I think. Easier on spine.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:14:21 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:20:32 pm »
TMK, I will build up a shelf on this bow with leather. At the bottom of the handle are 3 thin pieces of wood.
  Oak or vegitable tanned leathers work best but any will work. You can buy the precut shoe sole replacements from a shoe shop if they still exist or saddle skirting from a saddle shop. They probably have scraps for little or nothing.
  You can saturate the leather with super glue and it will rasp and scrape just like wood.
 I've never used cork but I have seen it used many times.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:52:59 am by Pat B »

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:21 pm »
Really turned out nice Pat.
Rob