Author Topic: Latest Cased Set....Odawa  (Read 5618 times)

Offline half eye

Latest Cased Set....Odawa
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:11:45 pm »
Just finished this set. The bow is a 43" Odawa, draws 47#@23 inches, has a physical weight of 7-3/8 ounces. Wood is a very old ironwood sapling from a corn crib roof purlin. The quiver set is all tanned buckskin, even the bandolier (stained buckskin). The knife is deer antler and knapped blade from black-butter obsidian. The arrows in the quiver are my 2012 hunting arrows and they are too long to be authentic Greatlakes Riverine so if ya look close you can see a 2 fletch arrow (white knock end) which is the correct length (center of the quiver). The decoration is a Lynx face, a white mink tail, and what looks like beads are painted spots....sort of my take on a pre-contact set-up.
      Consulted two local bands regarding a bow case, and both said that the vast majority of the time the bows were carried in the hand, and while a bow case was not unknown it was very rarely used. The bandolier is fitted with 2 sets of tie-down straps which is what they used for carrying "bundles" of different kinds or upon occassion they might tie the bow down.
      Hope you like it, questions and comments are allways welcome. Allmost forgot the bow wood was not alteredt in that the drying checks/cracks, worm marks are all original.....no glue, no heat, no steam. Also the "purlin" had about 1" of deflex and currently the bow has 1-1/4" for a total of 1/4" of set.
rich

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Latest Cased Set....Odawa
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:14:26 pm »
Now that is a combination to be very very proud of.  Just awesome work.

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:16:51 pm »
OK, now I'm envious.  :)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »
Beautiful quiver rich. Are we gonna get to see some pics of the bows full draw and the knife?

Jon

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 06:06:57 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback, sure I'll get some bow pics up for ya.....if the wife is willing ;D
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 06:54:59 pm »
here's 2 full draw pics.....one with regular draw, and one with the "secondary release". That's right handed draw off the right side of the bow and a modified pinch grip. Will photo the knife in a bit.
rich
PS the wife says she aint doin anymore 2 degrees F  picture takin ;D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
That's a sweet set Rich!  The tiller looks spot on and the bow looks like an artifact.  Way cool!  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 07:47:52 pm »
great set you got there Rich, like Josh said look's authentic to me as well, nice to see ya post some work ;), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »
Here's the shot of the knife

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:13:32 pm »
Thats  really  nice!  Rich,,   just what  would the  bow  look  like  that  would  that  would  go  with the woderfull  quiver you  gave  me  for christmas??   I'm  loving the looks of  those  scallop  bows,,,, I may  just try to make one thanks JeffW

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 12:13:33 am »
nice work Rich.that is just beautiful.thanks for the look.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:32 am »
Nicely done Half Eye ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 09:19:29 am »
Rich, I LOVE YOUR WORK!!!
That is a beautiful set, everything in there is art to my eyes and getting a bow out of the old weathered wood to bend that far at that length is amazing to me. You know I love the scalloped bows, made a few myself and every time you post another makes me want to
start on one again. Hope I get the chance to meet you some day and have some coffee and talk about these bows. Ours wives would
likely have a lot to talk about also, mine won't do the single digit weather photos outside anymore too. ;)
Well I'm off to the shop now, got my inspiration to start another scallop bow. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:11 am »
You do some awesome work where do you get black butter obsidian at never heard of it I bought some black butter dacite.
Rob

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 10:16:02 am »
Thanks very much fellas.

trapper: I am not a knapper, the knife blade was made by Dan Hamblin (member) from Ogden Utah. He said the black butter obsidian comes from Idaho/montana....someplace up in that neck of the woods.

Jeff: I was gonna make ya a bow for the Christmas exchange, but seen that ya wanted osage, so I didn't have any of that so ya got a quiver instead. I have a bow that would look good with it though, but you may not want to shoot it that short.....ironwood, 32" long and draws 60+ @ 17" unbacked and undecorated, it's a stave bow like the one for this set, think it only weighs 5 ounces or so. got a few pics of it.

Thanks again fellas appreciate the nice comments. Working on a couple more "sets" one from black bear, one from a grey fox, and one from an otter.
rich