Author Topic: Osage Warbow  (Read 9043 times)

Offline RyanY

Osage Warbow
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »
So here's my attempt at an osage warbow. I realize there is a warbow forum but thought I'd post it here since we discussed it in the "down with the king" thread. It's 74" ntn, 115#@32", 1 3/8" wide tapering to 9/16" at the nocks, and 1 1/8" thick tapering to 5/8" at the nocks. Tip overlays are maple and wenge. I feel like the handle wrap is a little unconventional on a warbow but on my previous ones I didn't like the simple bowyers mark for hand placement. The tiller seems too stiff in the outer limbs for my taste, especially in the upper limb. In this case I guess I wanted the draw weight a bit more than good tiller. :/ I haven't actually been able to shoot it yet but will try and find some time and a place soon. Also the stave and overlay materials were generously donated by Pearl Drums. Thanks Pearlie! Thanks for looking!
Back

Unbraced

Braced

Handle and bowyers mark

Tip

Hernia

Offline adb

Re: Osage Warbow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:23:14 pm »
Nice job, Ryan. See... osage makes a great warbow! I agree on the top tip being stiff. Hand shock might be a bit of an issue, but not so much if you shoot heavy arrows. I don't think a leather hand grip is so bad... my hick backed osage warbow has a grip. The pure warbow guys will poo-poo, but who's listening. If that bow was mine, I'd get both tips coming around a bit more, making the tiller a bit more round. Nice job on minimal set for the weight. Love the full draw grimace! Mine comes on above 70#!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:26:54 pm by adb »

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:31:43 pm »
Beauty of a warbow. always impresses me when somebody makes a bow over 80lbs. nice fulldraw
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:57 pm »
Dang! That stave turned into a real BEAST! Nice work Ryan.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:05:09 pm »
 :o :o :o  Sweet mother of yellow wood that is a beast!  Make sure you have some good arrows when you do put that thing into motion.  I like that burned in Bowyer's mark...is that a warbow thing, or is that something you do on all your bows Ryan?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »
Ryoon,
I enjoyed the “down with the king” thread.

I has assumed that you would build your osage “warbow” to its optimal design not try to fit it into an EWB mold so the handle wrap would simply be what you like.

Do you feel that these dimensions are optimal for a 100+ lb osage bow? Would you do anything different if you were to start over with the same stave.

I think I pulled a muscle just looking at you draw that beast. :o

Nice work
Keith 

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:24:35 pm »
Nice work, I love the combination of simple, beautiful, and powerful!  i think i would be poopn my pants at about 70#, can't imagin TRYIN to draw 115 :o

Offline autologus

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:12:53 pm »
If your string breaks you could always use it as a quarter staff. >:D  Nice job on that beast, I'll be it will flat spit out an arrow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:24:38 pm »
Bring it to Marshall with you Ryan. The WB guys from Canada will love it.......plus I want to shoot a sapling from her!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:58:23 pm »
is the quite rounded? Does it follow that 5/8 rules or whatever it is?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:19:34 pm »
great looking bow and full draw/grimace, as far as the grip wrap being unconventional who wants to be just like everyone else
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:36:07 pm »
Very nice work. Bracing that monster would give me a Hernia, never mind pulling it. :P :P :P :P :P :P
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:56:18 pm »
AWESOME! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 07:07:42 pm »
That's a whole lotta bow right there, nice work on it. How does it shoot? Much hand shock?
I should think that after drawing such a beast, handshock is a welcome circulation renewing theraputic massage!

OneBow

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 07:46:52 pm »
Just like pd referred to what a beast :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...