Author Topic: ERC with character (and a helmet) Done!  (Read 20714 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: ERC with character (and a helmet) tiller check
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 02:39:26 am »
That is really lookin good!  What specs are you shooting for?  I'm quite impressed with how you've worked the character  wiggles!  Josh
Hey Josh, thanks man. I was hoping for a 40# bow at least but again I think it will be light. Man I am allways comin in under  :'(
Ditto..n how much weight are you pulling there at 20"? If its not pulling at your intended weight at 20" I'd say you can pull it another inch and check it/exercise it,and if all is still well you can pull another inch etc...till you are pulling your intended weight....otherwise if you are pulling your intended weight at 20" ,then its just a matter of careful full length same number scrapes each limb to reduce weight,and monitoring your bend as you go down inch by inch till your at your draw length...and when you get to two inches away from your intended draw length start shooting it in at some short draws first and slowly out to your full draw...the reason for this is you'll lose some weight shooting it in(due to set) and final sanding to seal it
Thanks for checkin it for me and the info. I need the instruction. It is only hittin 20# at 20" and draw length will be 26" if it makes it. What's that, about a 30# bow? AGAIN!!

I think I am floor tillering too much off and by the time I get my bows even limbed, I have gone too far? Seem like a possible source of my being Captain Lightweight?
Oh well, I gotta keep doing this for a long time since I got so much to learn  ;) >:D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 10:25:37 am »
Good advice has been given to you...But now can't you put a little more sinew on it to increase your draw weight.It'll be another waiting period but if put on evenly on both limbs it should'nt change your tiller much.Course that'll pull it into more reflex you know,but that'll be ok.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DuBois

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 03:18:08 pm »
Good advice has been given to you...But now can't you put a little more sinew on it to increase your draw weight.It'll be another waiting period but if put on evenly on both limbs it should'nt change your tiller much.Course that'll pull it into more reflex you know,but that'll be ok.
Hey, that is a good idea! I hate to wait but I guess I need to learn to do it better. Will do it. Thanks Beadman.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 03:45:06 am »
Wow doob that's quite a compliment coming from gun doc and blackhawk... nice tiller!!! So it is 30 ,big deal it looks sweet that is the big obstacle the weight will come next ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 05:34:56 pm »
six more inches of draw X 2.5  equals it may be close to 35 without more sinew.   With Beadman's advice taken, you might just hit your weight.  Good work so far.   ;) 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DuBois

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
Wow doob that's quite a compliment coming from gun doc and blackhawk... nice tiller!!! So it is 30 ,big deal it looks sweet that is the big obstacle the weight will come next ;)

Thanks, and yes, if those guys think it looks good then I am feelin much better about it  :)
six more inches of draw X 2.5  equals it may be close to 35 without more sinew.   With Beadman's advice taken, you might just hit your weight.  Good work so far.   ;) 
Thanks man, I will be getting a little sinew on it the day before I go on a week vacation, so we shall see. At least that kills some of the wait time.

Offline DuBois

Re: ERC with character (and a helmet) Done!
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2013, 06:05:32 pm »
Finally done! This I think could have been an awesome bow if I had known better what I was dong.
Came in light and looking back I think it was floor tillered under 40# to begin with and I also think I misjudged how much ERC wood it would take for a heavier bow compared to some other woods. Anyway, here it is at 24# at 26". Lots of work for a light bow but it was interesting and educational. Think it is time for an unbacked self bow and some arrows.
Thanks for looking.

jpg[/IMG][/URL]obucket.com/albums/s662/mdubois7/008_zps47ddda44.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My first single tag lace up rawhide handle too.  :)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2013, 06:07:12 pm »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »
Wow, nice! The profile is awesome. I betcha it still shoots great even with the low weight with all that reflex and erc being about the lightest wood you can make a bow out of, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2013, 12:52:37 am »
I think it looks great.   It is surprisingly easy to make light weight bows ( unless you want to.)     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2013, 02:05:46 am »
Very nice.  I bet it shoots good!  Lightweights need love too and your finishing work is excellent.  Good job.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2013, 02:22:48 am »
Hey still a fun bow to shoot for the whole family I'd say.So now you've got an idea what red cedar will do with the thickness you worked with.Next time if you want a heavier bow you'll know what to do.You started out with a knarly piece of wood and still got a bow from it.Still bet it'll knock the snockers out a bunny for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 03:45:23 pm »
Man I am proud of you......it is a good looking bow made from a piece of wood that most would have thrown out.  It is well tillered and if it shoots well be very happy.  Even though it is a little light I would not worry about that at all....take what you learned and make the next one even better.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline DuBois

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2013, 08:38:26 pm »
TMK, thanks man, and it does shoot nice.

Thanks Ron, maybe I should start trying to make 100# bows and then I can get a 50#  ;)

Thanks Rhodes, I forgot to mention  put a layer of green silk over the sinew and it turned black with the TB3

Beadman, thank you.  yes I will have a better idea of what to do next time for sure and it will be good for the kids as they get older.

Thanks a lot BB77, still figuring out the right order of things in the process and this was sure a good experience.

And thanks to all you others who helped with your responses. Sure would be tough to do this with just my brain  ::)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2013, 12:35:13 am »
I like how it turned out!  Tiller looks great to me.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch