Author Topic: ERC with character (and a helmet) Done!  (Read 20717 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: ERC with character (and a helmet)
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 04:00:50 am »
Thanks for all the positive wishes folks. I get a few hours here and there between kids and wife... so it is slow going. It's kind of good though, they slow me down and I need it  :D Will have a few more pics in the near future.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51:12 am »
You got this! Lookin good just take your time
Always learning something new.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 03:20:33 am »
So I got her out to about 16" and all is well so far.
Hows my tiller lookin?

Offline DuBois

Re: ERC with character (and a helmet) tiller check
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:03 pm »
Anyone?

blackhawk

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 12:35:55 pm »
Looks good so far from here..but what do I know?  ::)

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 12:39:44 pm »
imo the right limb looks a little stiff right at that stud about halfway down the limb.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

blackhawk

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 01:05:48 pm »
imo the right limb looks a little stiff right at that stud about halfway down the limb.

There's a subtle reflex kink there in the unbraced profile,and it appears to be working to my eyes,and should look flat there for right now with how far he is drawing....the left limb has the same thing but its a lil more pronounced than the right

Offline Josh B

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 01:15:10 pm »
That's what I'm seeing to Chris.  Tricky one to tiller for sure, but looking pretty good so far!  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »
You have to be careful with those reflexed kink spots...they'll be stubborn on ya,but once they bend past straight and open up you need to be careful...you can be pulling as far as you are now and they can be stubborn not wanting to move n open up,but if ya pull it a lil farther that can all change...because those kinks are more bend resistant then the deflexed part of the limbs...so you gotta be extra careful with those spots and work em slowly with lots of exercising and looking...make sense?

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 04:51:05 pm »
Man it's looking pretty good, i really hope it turns out for you. Take it slow and you should get a kick ass bow.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 04:59:45 pm »
You have to be careful with those reflexed kink spots...they'll be stubborn on ya,but once they bend past straight and open up you need to be careful...you can be pulling as far as you are now and they can be stubborn not wanting to move n open up,but if ya pull it a lil farther that can all change...because those kinks are more bend resistant then the deflexed part of the limbs...so you gotta be extra careful with those spots and work em slowly with lots of exercising and looking...make sense?

I think it does make sense. That may explain how I have gotten real light on other bows that just won't move and then all of a sudden I am way under. Or maybe I am just impatient and rasp happy :-\
Alright then, thanks folks. I am off to hit it again for a while.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 09:56:31 pm »
Thanks Dubois,
I really appreciate you posting all this. My boss just gifted me with a couple of staves of ERC that look just like yours here. I was wondring how to attack it....
Can't wait to see the rest,,,, :)
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline DuBois

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:09 am »
I been tryin to go real slow.  I think I like it as it is but want to check with the guys with the eyes  ;)

5" brace (do you measure from the back to string?)

16"

20"

Open to any suggestions, Thanks, Marco.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 10:50:42 am »
That is really lookin good!  What specs are you shooting for?  I'm quite impressed with how you've worked the character  wiggles!  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 11:27:15 am »
Ditto..n how much weight are you pulling there at 20"? If its not pulling at your intended weight at 20" I'd say you can pull it another inch and check it/exercise it,and if all is still well you can pull another inch etc...till you are pulling your intended weight....otherwise if you are pulling your intended weight at 20" ,then its just a matter of careful full length same number scrapes each limb to reduce weight,and monitoring your bend as you go down inch by inch till your at your draw length...and when you get to two inches away from your intended draw length start shooting it in at some short draws first and slowly out to your full draw...the reason for this is you'll lose some weight shooting it in(due to set) and final sanding to seal it