Author Topic: Am I doing this right?  (Read 9800 times)

Offline Ozzy

Re: Am I doing this right?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 10:50:44 pm »
No fake wood grain I can make it look like osage  ::)
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »
After even more scraping  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:27:20 pm by Ozzy »

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 10:10:05 pm »
It's looking real good.  It could be the shadow playing tricks on my eyes, but the right limb seemes to be humping up a bit at about 6" from the handle. And the left limb looks a bit stiff.  The left limb being a bit stiff can cause exta pressure on the right limb causing the "humping effect."

Also, the right limb looks a bit stiff from half way out.  You can see that in the brace picture.

What I'd do on the right limb is scrape about 5 scrapes from the fade out to about 2".  Then I would do maybe 10 scraps mid-limb to about 5 inches from the tip.

Then go to the left limb and scape about 5 scapes on the left limb from fade to 1/3 out.  Then 5 scrapes from fade to out 2/3 on the left limb.  Then check it again.

It's getting about time to start doing tillering checks with a mirror and/or camera with you actually drawing the bow.  It's all about "little" tweaking now until you get to the full draw. 

Lookig good.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 10:29:29 pm »
Thanks I'll give it a try after work tomorrow and post some more pic

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2013, 11:11:57 pm »
And more scraping its 55 at 23 but the pic only at 20

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 02:09:25 am »
Did you re-tight your string or did you put the bow on the tree with opposite limbs on the right and left side?   You're tryign to confuse me.  IMHO you should decide which limb is going to be on the right side and consistantly put it on the right side.  This will avoid confusion.  With that said, it is important to swith them to double check so it's not shadows or your eyes playing trick on you.  BUT, then orient the bow the same to make the adjustments, if that makes sense.

Also, you're now pulling the 3 inches farther than the pictue you've post.  I have no idea what you bow looks like NOW.  So I'm afraid to give you any advice.  You're down to the wire now.  Five scrape in the wrong place could be the difference between a shootable bow and a great bow.

I will point out things for you to look according to your 20 draw picture. The right limb from handle to the first gray verticle line is flat. There needs to be some bend here.  Not a lot but some.  And on that limb, there's a flat section at the second verticle gray line.  That area needs to bend.

One the left limb, it's flat from the second gray verticle line to the tips.  I'm not sure what kind of tiller you're looking for. Pappy and the Twin Oaks guys make bow with a 60/40 bend.  That is 60% of the inner limb does most of the bending while the remain 40% pretty much a lever.  I remember reading Pappy referring to it as "Tennessee Molly" once.   Blackhawk's bows look very similar at full draw, but he recurves the out 1/3 of his limbs.  So what looks straight at full draw is actually bending a bit.

I wil be home around 6PM Wednesday.  I'll keep my cell phone with me all evening.  Take a picture of the bow bending at 23", post it and call me.  I'll better able to help you when I can see where the bow is NOW. 859-582-2306
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:24 am »
Looks like mid 1/3 of both limbs and stay away for now the fad out several inches on the left,little to much bending going on there. Looking nice. How much weight and length have you got to give ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 08:20:16 am »
I will Dave thanks
I would like to get 55 at 28 Pappy thanks
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:28:21 am by Ozzy »

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:59 pm »
Here she is i was wrong its 22"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:52:38 pm by Ozzy »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »
Ozzy
That boomerang stave is really looking good.  I'd stay away from the 1/3 of that right limb, the left limd looks a little stiff right off of the fads.  But take my info with a grain of salt.  When I want to stay away for an area I wrap it with some painters blue tape, it seems to work for me.
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline TRACY

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:28 pm »
You're coming right along! Study a lot and scrape a little. You're almost there.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 09:45:05 pm »
 :-\

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »
55 AT 25

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 10:57:50 pm »
I'll post this so others can disagree with me if they have better ideas.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:59 pm »
On your draw pics the top limbs looks stiff.  Work it first as suggested.  Then see what the bottom limb looks like.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw