Author Topic: To split or not to split, that is the question!  (Read 3440 times)

Offline sleek

Re: To split or not to split, that is the question!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 05:47:07 am »
Its up to you buddy, just lemme know. My bandsaw is no toy. And with a stave that is pipe straight like that, there will be no grain run off as it is already straight. However, even with the most crooked osage, I am VERY good at following grain and have never had one break due to a deficiency on my part behind the band saw. You just let me know if you want it done or not, happy to help. Good luck either way!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:00 am »
I would lay out 2 bows on it,one on each side and cut it down the middle with a band saw, One thing to remember,if you split it and it goes bad it will probably run off to one side,if it does that you still have the one,so nothing lost. IW will probably split right down the center from my experience. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:19:26 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:13 am »
Wow, be nice to that stave. Thats as pretty as HHB gets.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:35:52 am »
What pappy said ;)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:54 am »
If you can identify the base of the tree in that stave then go the oposite end and line it up dead center and you should'nt get any run out. If that stave is 4" wide you will be starting with a 2" wide stave. I have done it on osage several times and it worked out good. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 10:18:37 am »
I would. Start at the small end. Should be ok if the grain is straight. I've never ruined both staves but have had the split run out and obtained one stave and a tomato stake. Not that I need more tomato stakes.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marks

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 10:51:28 am »
I'm with Pappy. You are gonna layout your centerline by following the grain anyway (at least I assume thats how everyone else does it). Might as well lay it out now and bandsaw it. It will take out the uncertainty of spliting. Thats what I would do.......well I doubt I would have been smart enough to think about spitting it in two in the first place but......Thats what I would do if you gave it to me now.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:37 am »
I'm no expert, ...but Pappy's idea of laying out the two bow backs prior to running it under the bandsaw makes a lot of sense to me.

OneBow

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 11:13:20 am »
Muffin Man,  You always help me on my questions, I am thankful. Are you going to decrown?  that might matter.  You can make a cardboard pencil jig to help you follow the grain.  Simply measure to the center of the stave ( follow the circumference of wood).  Make a hole in cardboard at that measurement.  Put the measured edge on the outside of the stave and follow the stave with pencil and finger.  You probably already know this but just in case that might help.  It only works when you have one split edge to follow.  Cut it.  Just my opinion i hope I'm not wrong in this theory.  Someone pipe up and tell me to shut up if I'm wrong. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 11:44:12 am »
I usually lay out the center following the longitudinal grain by eye but what you are saying will work also,some folks have trouble seeing it and that way would help in their case. If you do it that way and then cut it you will have no problem
violating the grain whitch is what splitting will also do for you ,just with a little more risk.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 11:49:26 am »
Ironwood ought to make a nice bow with 1.5" width to midlimb, at least from what I've seen of the wood.  With the grain so straight you can bandsaw that in half without fear of having runouts on the edges.  If that isn't an option, I would at least kerf down the back with a skilsaw so you can be sure it will split true.

On the other hand, both of the staves will have a little lean to them.  Whereas if you go right down the middle with one bow you'll have the perfect piece.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:23 am »
I would try to split it.  On smaller pieces like that I have started in the center of the stave with a hatchet and hammered it into the stave starting the split towards both ends.

I totally agree. This has never failed for me.
Don't shoot!

Offline Marks

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53:45 am »
I would lay out 2 bows on it,one on each side and cut it down the middle with a band saw, One thing to remember,if you split it and it goes bad it will probably run off to one side,if it does that you still have the one,so nothing lost. IW will probably split right down the center from my experience. :)
   Pappy

Pappy, are these 2 staves bows now? I'd like to see em. I've got a thing for snakey bows.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 12:29:22 pm »
Yes they are,I actually got a belly split off the same stave,I was really greedy.Don't want to steal the thread but some timeit pays off to be stingy, ;)Of course sometimes it don't. :( >:(  Just depends on weather you are willing to take the risk. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:36 pm »
Pappy you make beautiful bows!  Thanks for sharing :)