Author Topic: BBO repair thread...(Finished Pictures)  (Read 3681 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

BBO repair thread...(Finished Pictures)
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:11:54 pm »
Ok guys i have a BBO bow I was working on and had it drop onto a tip and break off. I was able to salvage it so now the bow will be 60 inches ttt. My math question is

60 inches TTT- 59ish NTN+ 45/50#=   ???????? Failure or Success

Maybe a little more information is needed. The bow is 1 1/4 at the fades carrying that 6 inches out the limb to 1/2 at the nocks

Hopefully you guys with bows under your belt can chime in to let me know if this will work or not. I have to grind off the bamboo because it cracked in six places from the cold weather in my garage. Damn you non heated garage!!! So before I start grinding bamboo and adding in lams to it I want to see if I shouldn't waste my time with it.

Thanks all

Justin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:15:04 am by bowhntineverythingnh03743 »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Quick mathmatical question???
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:20:45 pm »
I got a sinew backed osage that is 52" tip to tip, stiff handled with 2" fade outs, 1 1/4" wide at the fades.  That leaves 44 inches of limb total for a draw length of 26". 

Yeah, I think it is doable.  I don't think the boo is going to let go even with that kind of bend in a 60" bow.  Take it slow on the tillering, especially early.  Do not bend the bow to more than 80% draw weight until you are close to full draw.  That will help you fight off taking set in the limbs. 

I'd love to see pics as you continue this build!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22:39 pm »
Sounds like a plan then... I will start working on this bow tomorrow and show you what problems I have with it and start a posting as I go with this build. I want this to be a shorter bow because I plan on chasing spring gobblers with this thing and may even try it without a blind so shorter the better.

If people really want to see this thing take shape let me know and I will edit this post!

Thanks again

Justin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:39:18 pm »
OOOH!  A turkey-lurkin' ambush bow!  Arrow killed fletching is bestest!  Big mojo!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:45:22 pm »
I got a sinew backed osage that is 52" tip to tip, stiff handled with 2" fade outs, 1 1/4" wide at the fades.  That leaves 44 inches of limb total for a draw length of 26". 

J Dub, your post is fiction without pictures  >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »
True enough....I'm the one always telling people to post more pics!!!

I'll see what I can do to get pics of the "Crack Wh***" to post. 

BBO repair (Clamped)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:49:02 pm »
Hey guys-
   So today I started on a 60 ttt BBO that I had major problems with. The tiller was way off and not to mention that the boo split in six different spots from being left in the garage during the cold (my bad). I forgot that it was out there and when I went to look and bring it in. Over night it CRACKED CRACKED CRACKED.

I spent the day in the garage removing the bamboo from the osage. I got the osage even throughout each limb to around 1/4 inch. My plan which I have been talking to the Ol MIGHTY ROY!!! is to add some osage lams that I got from Guru Kenny onto the osage and then add a new piece of boo.

Here is the osage and handle area all cleaned up.

So my next plan of attack is to glue on and slice the osage lams... Get that shaped out some and then add the new piece of boo. I thought this because the belly osage is already shaped. Adding a new lam and then a new shaped piece of boo onto them would be a difficult challenge to make sure everything is lined up.

What are your guys thoughts on this plan of attack???

I hope to have this bow fixed and ready for May turkey season. Thanks for the look guys!!

Justin
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:23:33 pm by bowhntineverythingnh03743 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: BBO repair thread
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:59 pm »
You have lots of energy Justin! Your plan is fine, Im sure of it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:16:21 pm »
Thanks Pearly.... I have three bows going as of now. Two BBO and one of your staves ya sent me. I have to wait until tomorrow to work on the elm stave because the only vice I have set up right now works off the hitch on my truck. Tomorrow it is supposed to be up to 50 degrees and I can back my truck halfway into the garage to work on thinning out the stave. Gonna have a bow building production line going here pretty soon. HAHAAHA!!!!

Offline Gaur

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:57 pm »
I've done similar to you when I had problems.  I hope you are going to put a good amount of reflex in it when you glue it up??
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:55 am »
Oh yeah! I plan on reflexing it about 3.5-4 inches when I glue it up... just waiting for my new glue to come in. I have smooth on but I don't have a hot box yet to have it cure in. So I have some Unibond 800 coming... its supposed to be the new improve Urac 185.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 04:24:05 pm »
Well it is all clamped up. I took my time lining everything up. The lam and bamboo is slightly wider anyways so I will be able to thin it down to the belly and handle. There is 3.5 inches of reflex hoping to keep around 3 or 2.5 inches.

The Unibond 800 glue works just like Urac which is awesome but it definately sets up a whole lot quicker. It took me some time to clamp everything up and I could tell I needed to work quicker. Now the directions say that the lowest heat being 70 deg will cure in 3 hours. I don't doubt it but I am going to let it rest now at least 10 hours and then see what the glue on the sides of the bow look like.

Here is a picture of the dry run....

All clamped up in the basement now....

It is definately going to be thicker than needed so some weight will need to be taken out but I think that I can get it back up to around 50#..

We shall see in the next couple days!!!!

Re: BBO repair thread...question for ya
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 11:33:31 pm »

So out of the clamps and the sides all cleaned up for the most part. Need to make some minor adjustments on them to even the taper but all and all not to shabby. Definately a lot thicker so I am starting back to square one with tillering. Hoping thats not a huge problem.

My only hick up was for some reason one side of the glue up held the reflex nicely but the other flattened out. I hope this isn't going to ruin this bow but we shall see by what you guys say.

Just a few pictures

Glue lines came out Purdy!

Is the lost of the reflex in one limb a huge problem or during tillering I will just have to adjust the stronger limb???

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:13 pm »
It has been a crazy couple weeks... Too many things in the fire but today got this tiller a little better. I am 50# @ 25 inches. I want this weight at 28 inch draw so I have a little more play room left. Tomorrow I will take my time and finish the tiller and shoot it for the first time. It has great early string weight and is looking promising. We shall see... I think the outer third of the limb needs a little work, just a tad stiff.

What do you all think?

Offline Roy

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »
I guess it's Ok.. :)