Author Topic: Never broke a bow yet!  (Read 10478 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Never broke a bow yet!
« on: October 18, 2007, 01:04:58 pm »
Well, I have to admit I have not broken a bow yet!  How come everyone seems to have broken one except for me? I'm starting to feal left out here!!!  >:( ;D

David T

PS: That should get some attention!!!  >:D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Never broke a bow yet!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »
Thats a good left out.Hang in there it will come sooner or later.I don't know how many I have broke but it has been several over the years.Not so bad lately but I know as well as I am setting here it will happen again. ;) ;D It is like when I bushhog the farm I know somewhere sometime
I will hit a yellow jackets nest just don't know when or where and am supprized when it happens. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:31:14 pm »
Don't worry, you will. Maybe you could try sawing halfway through it with a fine-toothed hacksaw blade just before pulling it to full draw the first time.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:24:32 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 01:31:44 pm »
Maybe its our Northwest weather, because I havent broke one either. But my hasnt been over 20#.
Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:53:34 pm »
I will be making my first 80-90# bow soon. Dont know how it will come out but it could be the first to go spectacularly booming on me! Three lams of Hickory a 1/4 thick each and one board of Sappelle for the belly wood. Dont know if it will work but I hope so!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline bluegill

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 05:32:52 pm »
I'm 1 of 1 at the moment. Broke my first board bow while tillering and i've completed another board bow. Right now I'm staying busy cutting and drying osage, hackberry, and elm. We'll see how things go.

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 05:46:02 pm »
You are asking for trouble with this post :) I was bragging this summer about never being stung, and a yellowjacket got me minutes later. I broke on during tillering last year, pretty spectacular explosion it was, too.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 06:11:41 pm »
 I have never broke a bow but  have only made 1 ;)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 07:01:46 pm »
Well, I have to admit I have not broken a bow yet!  How come everyone seems to have broken one except for me? I'm starting to feal left out here!!!  >:( ;D

David T

PS: That should get some attention!!!  >:D
You have to make them to break them.  ::)  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 08:09:18 pm »
Murphy's law will get ya when you least expect it and of course now that you made the statement you are surely doomed,
better start wearing a hardhat and eye protection ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 08:12:18 pm »
I went for my first 10-15  bows without breaking one then it seems like I could't make a bow to save my life. I had a couple vaporize at full draw, left my ears ringing for a while. The last few years I haven't broken any.  It comes and goes.

Mark

tradrick

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:50:52 pm »
Well I've finally gotten started on the board bows I've been planning on building.Just got in from floor tillering the first one.Doing with hand tools have'nt invested in a bandsaw just yet.But its next on the list.I've got 3 to make for my wife and 2 daughters.A buddy came by yesterday and seen my osage and is intrested in getting one.And another friend from work wants 5.One for himself,his wife and there 3 sons.I wonder how many I'll break before I get that many good ones?I'm starting out on board bows to learn more as I go.Wish me luck.tradrick

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 09:32:45 pm »
Murphy's law will get ya when you least expect it and of course now that you made the statement you are surely doomed,
better start wearing a hardhat and eye protection ;)

Dana, the explosion will be so great, I will hear it here in New England :)

Come to think of it though, I am going to get a hard hat and a face shield for two in-progress projects, the two seige engines I am building. Armor as well when I finally test the scorpion. You can never be too careful, and catastrophic failure could be lethel until I have proven the machines.

Fun stuff, isn't it? :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 09:35:20 pm »
:)
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:13 am »
If your not breaking any then your not pushing the limits of your materials....I could say the same thing if all I ever built was over built longbows. :P Breaking is just part of what makes this bow building fun and interesting. If it were really that easy everyone would do it. ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....