Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade???...we doing one this year?  (Read 15527 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: 2013 Bow Trade???...we doing one this year?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 11:57:42 pm »
Great input everyone.
 One of the things that makes this such a good event is that people often really step up to the plate and do there best effort. Often building their personal best ever. I have heard of many first time trials with success, because people are inspired to get outside of the comfort zone. All this is good for growth as well as the friendships built along the way. Embrace the challenge, take it serious. do your best and HAVE FUN!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 12:13:17 am »
One of the most important parts of this swap in my eyes is each of us being honest with ourselves. Entering this bow swap means you should be able to build a SAFE and SERVICEABLE bow in the draw weight and draw range of the person you drew. The rest can and will vary as much as the person buidling it. The number of years building or bows made isnt a concern as its irrelevant. And never hesitate to ask questions along the way. We all want everybody to get a good, shootable bow in the end.  ;D

+1
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 12:49:44 am »
I'm in !

Right handed
   Shelf or knuckle
   45#-55#
   27" draw

LETS DO THIS THING!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12:57 am »
Alright!! I decided I wasn't ready last year.  This year I am all in.  Will be looking for that official sign-up thread.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline steve b.

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 02:19:17 am »
I know the rules will probably explain it when it come out but I'm curious, how does it exactly work, do you say what you want and someone makes it for you or do you say what you will build and blackhawk or whoever assigns your bow a home?

blackhawk

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 08:58:10 am »
Easy on the trigger Cody ;)

Steve...all the names go in a hat and get drawn...each person gets drawn a name...then that name will be sent to you and you will secretly build that person a bow...do not contact the person you get..its a secret....so we don't know who's building a bow for us and we don't know when its going to arrive..its a big surprise that'll knock your socks off...but most importantly the most fun I get out of it is building a bow for someone who has no clue I'm building it for them and it shows up out of the blue at there doorstep...if you like suspenseful surprises and being the one who gets to surprise someone then this is for you ;)

I'm glad to see some new faces taking interest ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 09:08:46 am »
Chris I would like to offer a consideration. On the requirements of the user I suggest that right or left should be the only option. I myself don't want the person that draws my name to be locked into anything other than right or left. I just want something that won't bonk me on the head when I draw it back. :)

Jon...were gonna keep this as simple as we can...I do personally agree with you but I think there would be enough people to disagree...so we will give a general weight range and draw  to hit,but if its missed its no big deal...were all bowyers and we all miss weight....and most of us would rather have a properly made and tillered 45 pound bow than a messed up hinged 65 pound bow...if you make bows you should know tiller and design are number ones...especially when it comes to building bows for someone else.

Offline danny f

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 09:52:33 am »
does this just apply to people in the US  or can anyone join in (im in the UK ) also when will this take place, just so i know if i will have any timber dry. unless boards can be used? if so i might have a go it sounds like good fun. i am a novice though lol.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 10:13:12 am »
Sounds like it is all coming together,thanks guys for putting this together,I know it's a lot of work but feel sure it is much appreciated by all. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline coaster500

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:07 am »
I'll help with the Policing if needed, see if we can do better than last year. I'm like Pat this year, real busy at work and need to finish 4 bows by the Spring, so I won't be in it.

I think that one of the rules should be , If you see where you might have problems fulfilling your obligation let everyone involved know ahead of time. Don't just quit answering PM's and emails. A lot of people do worry about each other on this site and when you do that most of us start thinking you have a family crisis, you're sick, or the worse, you've passed away and nobody knows it.

Usually the first thought everybody thinks is not that you are ripping someone off, but, that you are having a serious problem.I've never seen a more trusting, giving group on a website.

So, I'd like to suggest that if you join this trade, just be considerate of your recipiant and the rest of the members.

This really says it all....  folk here are about as understanding as they get if they know whats up........
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:55 am »
Danny there usually is a few guys from overseas who sign up and it is open to y'all....now that being said...we will be given the option to stay in country or not...most folks stay in country as shipping costs and customs with other countries can be a pain in the butt. But some folks don't have an issue sending one overseas if need be....now say for example you sign up and no one else from the UK signs up and everyone stays in there own country then ya might get turned down...but that never has happened yet....although there was an issue at the end of last years trade with an overseas person...its easy for anyone to sign up and say yes,and not fulfill there vows because its online and folks live all over the place..its easy to fraud...but most everyone here is a person of honesty,trustful,and has integrity...and that's what makes the trade a success. But there always seems to be a few rotten apples no matter how hard we try to regulate who is allowed to join...guess ya get that anywhere and everywhere ya go tho. And want makes this site better than any other site/community is that there is folks who step up to the plate and fill those rotten apples shoes and make another bow to make sure everyone gets one who sent one out.

blackhawk

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:58 am »

Sounds like it is all coming together,thanks guys for putting this together,I know it's a lot of work but feel sure it is much appreciated by all. :)
   Pappy

Ur welcome politeful pappy ;)  you have been a great example to us all..you lead by action first,then words...you are a true southern gentleman :)

Offline danny f

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 10:46:42 am »
it sounds good then. i wouldnt sign up if i didnt think i could get a bow together for someone. i just hope i have some dry wood when it starts.

blackhawk

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 11:02:27 am »
Danny you can use a properly selected board,and even back it for that extra insurance seeing how its going to someone else. As long as its a serviceable natural materials bow that's properly tillered and designed for the weight and draw length boards are fine.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:24 am »
I can't decide if I want to join in this year.  I love doing the trades, but I have some bows I want to build for people this year and I don't know if I'll have the time.  I need to think about it some more.  It does look like its going to be a good trade this year.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left