Author Topic: Instinct Bow  (Read 4927 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Instinct Bow
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:09:33 am »
I just finished my first bow ever!  I call it an instinct bow because I didn't really know what I was doing and I just did what I thought felt right... and of course I scoured this forum in search of answers to my many questions.  I feel like bow making is a lot about building instincts so on your next bow you don't really even have to think about certain parts and it just comes to you naturally.  This bow is about 56' ntn and I have no idea what the poundage at my draw length is because I don't have a scale.  It's made out of crepe myrtle and I left the bark on for the most part.  The stave was a little bit wavy so I think that's why my tiller looks a bit off... or maybe my tiller is just off.  I grabbed a piece of dried cane, put a knock in it and covered the tip with a 9mm casing.  It flew well enough without fletching and I just wanted to shoot so I got to it.  I'm happy with how it shoots, though I realize there are quite a few things that aren't ideal... at all.

Here it is strung with a brazilian pepper shoot arrow stick

The string is off center due to the unevenness of the bottom limb but it doesn't seem to affect the way it shoots too bad.

Before it was tillered very well I put a string on it and pulled a little too far and heard the tiniest crack.  I got some pine resin and agave fibers and patched it up.  I haven't heard a peep from it since and I've shot a few arrows out of it so I think that patch is going to work for now.

Here it is unstrung just to give you an idea what I had to deal with when I was tillering.

Thanks for looking and thanks to the forum for providing a ton of advice and information!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Shondy55

Re: Instinct Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:06 am »
good job dude! i know what ya mean when it comes to just using instincts sometimes i just go with the flow and see what happens! its more interesting that way!!
 ;D
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:32:54 am »
Maybe it ain't perfect, but it shoots and that is miles ahead of most people's first bows!  Heck, it's miles ahead of the last two I screwed up and I have built a couple hundred bows! 

Kinda the fearless type aren't you?  Or one with no good sense.  Because you picked a seriously challenging stave, lotsa cool character.  And you did a pretty good job.  Something tells me this will not be your last bow either!!!

Slick trick patching with the agave fibers and pine resin!  Way to go, primitive all the way.  Some guys would have headed to the hardware store for t part epoxy and fiberglass tape!  Double points for staying primitive. 

What's the next project, Tim?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:52:48 am »
Thanks guys!  It was my first completed bow.  My second attempted bow.  But after that patch I might go back and patch my first attempt.

It's certainly not my last.  I want a little bit of a stronger, bigger bow that I can hunt with.  I've got a couple more crepe myrtle staves curing, a hackberry, and a sweetgum curing as well.  I haven't split those logs yet though.   I need to get a draw knife soon so I can branch out and hone the ring chasing skill.

Next project?  My sweetgum stave should be dry soon so I think I'll be able to get a couple long bows out of it.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Roy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:04:17 am »
Pretty neat for your first bow, they will only get better.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:05:43 am »
Nice work Tim, that looks like my second bow.  Sometimes just following your gut and getting into it is the best way to teach yourself.  Like JW said, challengin stave and you kept it primitive....extra points.  What is the arrow? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:06 am »
Nice work Tim, that looks like my second bow.  Sometimes just following your gut and getting into it is the best way to teach yourself.  Like JW said, challengin stave and you kept it primitive....extra points.  What is the arrow?

Thanks, the arrow is from a brazilian pepper tree (highly invasive!).  My dad and I were taking out some on our land and one had a few perfectly straight shoots so I took them to try.  They seem to be okay at this point I haven't flung one way off into the air yet so we'll see.  I guess I need to make a full fledged arrow with it.  When I sanded it the shaft got darker which was a surprise to me.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:12:10 am »
That dont look bad. Not at all for a first. Congratulations, and welcome to the sickness. ( or the cure? ( to borrow from somebody elses signature ) ) Now, If you dont mind, I am gonna disect your tiller to give you something to look at for improvements on your next bow. We all want to improve, but we wont without constructive criticism.

So first point, wear safety glasses when shooting this bow please. That lower limb is scary. It cracked there because if you look, it is bending way to much in the outer limb. Almost all the bend is happening there, when the bend should be even across the entire limb. Now that is obviously difficult when your stave already bends in weird places, for example the upper limb. Ironically though, I think you did your best tillering on the upper limb and can only say it bends only a touch too much at the tips, where the lower limb bends way to much. You did a much better job on the much tougher side of the bow. Actually, its darn near perfect except for the last 4 inches or so where it bends too much.

On your next stave, make sure both limbs bend the same amount. Do this by measuring the distance each tip bends. Pictures help too, you can stare at them long and hard without actually stressing the bow out for long periods of time.

On your form, drop your elbow. You want your elbow, arm, and arrow to form a perfect line with each other. That way, your arrow is literally an extension of your body. Pointing your arrow will be just as natural as pointing your finger, because it is exactly in line with it. Mirrors help with that. Here is a pic of what I say is perfect form...

Notice how the elbow to arrow tip are all in perfect line with each other. That guy in that pic is gonna hit what he was aiming at. Anyways, I hope you didnt take any of what I said as being rude or know it all. I am just hoping to see you improve. And I know you will. Good job, good luck, and look forward to your next bow. I have itching to do a sweetgum for years, its on my unfinished business list. Itching to see somebody build one. Soon as I see one standing alone, minding its own business, and nobody around.... somebody is going to see only a stump where a tree once stood... And it better happen soon, with all this itchin, I may get a rash.

I would like to add one last thing. Get your bending even at brace or before if you can. But certainly at brace. You will brake far fewer bows if you make sure the stresses of bending are even throughout the bow when you get it strung up, before pulling on that string. By time you are pulling it back, you should only need minor adjustments. That way, high stress areas, like where your bow broke, are fixed before they become high stressed and you wont break them.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:20:24 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:13:58 am »
Thanks for all the great advice and putting in the time to give it to me!  I'll admit, as soon as I was able to put a string on it and shoot it I was too excited about shooting it and didn't think much about actually finishing.  I guess that's just my immaturity as a bowyer.

I'm not really sure I understand form.  What's the difference between if my elbow is a few inches high or lower than directly behind the the arrow?  When I let go it's going to do the same thing right?

Sweetgum is a weed in my area.  I got the stave I have from my neighbor's land.  He said I could have it if I wold come over and shoot his squirrels.  Sounds like a win win for me.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »
Ah...the imperfect bends of a "first"....but its a first,and shoots arrows....for now at least  :laugh:

The first bow is like losing your virginity...you don't know what the hell your doing and get so excited you end up shooting way too early :laugh:

Guess this shows how tough crepe myrtle is....Congrats on it shooting some Arras ...now go make some more n apply the lessons learned from this one

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21:16 pm »
A straight piece of Crepe Myrtle is easily in my top 5 bow woods.  Amazingly strong stuff.

I really like your bow.  I like the title too.  I think a bowyers instinct is ultimately way more important than learning all the 'tricks' of tillering.  Don't get me wrong, you need the tricks, but they are the easy part.  A trained monkey could probably make a pyramid bow with a decent tiller, but to get beyond that, to get to the art of bow making you need instincts.  And that's what you've started to get here. Now go make a bunch more bows.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 04:05:32 pm »
The first bow is like losing your virginity...you don't know what the hell your doing and get so excited you end up shooting way too early :laugh:
Guess this shows how tough crepe myrtle is....Congrats on it shooting some Arras ...now go make some more n apply the lessons learned from this one

Interesting analogy.....

I think before I make more bows I need to make some arrows.  If I keep shooting at squirrels I'm going to have lost all my arrows.  I'll be harvesting some cane sometime soon.  I might attempt some other types of arrows too but cane seems easiest and I'm all about that! lol

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:43 pm »
Tim, congrats on making your first bow, I like the primitive look it has. 8) I want to echo what a few others said about being careful shooting this bow because it does look like one that could go bang on you! If it does thats OK because it happens to all of us no matter
how many we've made. ;) I like what you did for a couple of reasons, first because you look young and I love seeing younger guys and gals take an interest in primitive bow making, much cooler than when us older guys do. Second thing I like about this is that you just
attacked the project without any sense of intimidation, thats what my dad called spunk and spunk is a good quality to have. ;D
One piece of advise I'll give you is to view pics. of bows on this site, look at bends on the limbs of these bows while strung and while
drawn. Get an eye for what braced profile and drawn tiller should look like. Looking at a lot of pictures of well made bows really helps
a guy understand how limbs should bend in my opinion. I always like to study pics. on this site to help me develop a good tiller eye.
Glad you got the bug, look forward to seeing your next bow so please post it also. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:09 am »
On form, when you let go of the string, yes the arrow is going to go where it is pointed, regardless of your form. However, it is your form that ensures the arrow is going where you are looking. Like a shotgun, keep the beads lined up on target, or open sight rifle, keep the rear and front sight lined up on target. With a bow, keep your elbow, arm, and arrow lined up and the arrow is going to go where you are looking ( most of the time ). More important that form though, is consistency. A person can learn to shoot with bad form and be accurate. But only if he shoots the exact same way every time. Be consistent. Good form speeds things up though. It makes hitting target more natural and instinctive, rather than actually aiming the bow. With good form, pointing the arrow is no different than pointing your finger, and knowing you will hit what you are pointing at. All that said, its hard to shoot bows ya aint built yet, so get to making wood chips and work on your form and aim as time passes. I was only bringing it up to help you out. Shoot how you are comfortable.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:46:01 am »
Congrat of you first shooter,nothing like that. As old as I am I still remember my first shooter,wasn't to pretty and the tiller was awful but it shot arrows and that was all that mattered. :) Very cool and welcome to PA. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good