Author Topic: Rudderbows warbow inquiry- wood type? also, string/arrows [BETTER PICS ADDED!!!]  (Read 13756 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Looks like hickory to me.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
New belly pics
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 06:56:36 pm »
Here are better quality pics of the belly.  Hickory?  Lemonwood? Etc?  Definitely not yew in my opinion.  I wish I had known what I know about yew now.  Either way I paid a great price, just isn't as much as a 'find' to me now.

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
Some more.

Offline seabass

i am sure you will have fun shooting it.i like shooting mine alot.you said that you got if for a good price,so have fun and shoot the heck out of it. ;)
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Ian.

Hickory 100%, not a bad belly wood though it's not Yew so you could get your money back if you wanted.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
Yeah, it must be hickory indeed.  So it's a hickory, ipe, hickory bow.  No problem, I'm glad I didn't pay more at the time of sale or I'd be disappointed and upset.  The seller claimed the bow was "around 400 new".  Thankfully I paid FAR less than that for it.  I dunno, 3Rivers sells the bamboo backed ones for 394 so maybe the seller at least wasn't BSing the new price.  I'm just gonna enjoy it for what it is, I've got some proper warbow arrows coming by end of next week.  Thanks for the help guys.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:31:33 am by nineworlds9 »

Offline adb

Did Jim say it was yew, or did the guy you bought it from say it was yew? As soon as some people hear 'warbow', they automatically think 'yew.' The belly wood on that bow is definitely not yew. I doubt it's lemonwood either, as it's very difficult to get in the US. Probably hick/ipe/hick, which is fine. Good thing you didn't pay yew prices for it! Shoot the hell out of it!

Oh yah... for heavy bows (over 60#), I use nothing but FF. B50 is just too stretchy. I can't even brace my warbows with B50.

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
Yeah, I found out today the new arrows are finished and on the way.  String should also be done soon.  Can't wait.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:58:51 am by nineworlds9 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Just my opinion as I don't do laminates...but
It sounds like a daft combination of woods to me. The core does relatively little work and thus can be a light stable wood. So why is the core a heavy wood that's good in compression? Hickory Maple Ipe would prob be much quicker.
Maybe open it up and laminate some lead sheeting in the middle, that might speed it up >:D
If I had to guess the belly wood I'd say Lemonwood
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
Lol.  I agree...I've been learning about these things and Im also not sure why they'd use ipe in the middle of this bow.  You know based on pics I studied it does look a lot like lemonwood, but I think it's not likely.  There are quite a few bows sold in the UK that I found online that are "lemonwood belly, purple/greenheart core, hickory backed" that look very similar to mine.  Dunno.  Hmmm.

How come UK makers like Bickerstaffe etc. use purpleheart or greenheart as a core? Aren't those woods very similar to ipe? 

Haha, on 3Riversarchery.com where they sell the bamboo backed version of this bow, the ad is quoted as "ipe center lamination for added speed"...Del you'd probably call bollocks on that eh?

Here's what I found on greenmanlongbows.co.uk:

"Another effective and popular configuration in laminated longbows uses a third strip, (known as the core) between the back and belly. Cores are generally no more than 1/4 of an inch thick and often taper towards the bows tips. Cores experience mostly compressive forces and as such can be made from all the woods used for belly's. They can also be made from woods that are characterised by their stiffness and stability such as purpleheart, greenheart, IPE, or osage."

"The reported advantages of using a core strip can be that they act as a buffer between the back and belly, increasing their effectiveness and helping to spread the loads and forces in the finished bow. They also give an amount of stiffness and stability to the bow and in certain cases can reduce the development of string follow. Using multiple cores will impart a higher degree of stiffness to the bow."

Here are two pics of lemonwood and hickory.  Gosh studying this bow its so hard for me to tell.  To me at least, it looks like lemonwood based on the pics I've studied, but as you all have been saying chances are its hickory.  I emailed Jim Boswell directly, maybe he can help.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:07:01 am by nineworlds9 »

Offline adb

Just my opinion as I don't do laminates...but
It sounds like a daft combination of woods to me. The core does relatively little work and thus can be a light stable wood. So why is the core a heavy wood that's good in compression? Hickory Maple Ipe would prob be much quicker.
Maybe open it up and laminate some lead sheeting in the middle, that might speed it up >:D
If I had to guess the belly wood I'd say Lemonwood
Del

Sorry, Del... but you're mistaken. This is a common misconception. The core wood does do work. Similar to the belly wood. A compression weak core wood will in fact make a bow weaker, with more set. Essentially, the two woods become compression belly wood, but there is an additional glue line. Basically, two proper glue lines are stronger than one. The concern with using a dense core wood (like ipe) is making sure the limbs (especially the outer limbs) don't carry too much mass. All else being equal, my tri lam bows are faster (by about 10-15%) than my backed or self bows.

Perhaps think of it this way... two pieces of wood glued together will be stronger than a single piece of the same thickness, and three will be stronger than two.

I have used ipe as a core wood more than once, and it makes a fantastic bow. My latest is this: maple back, ipe core, osage belly. 70" ntn, 1 1/8" wide at the grip, tapering to 3/8" nocks. 53#@28" and shoots 175 fps. Very fast, no hand shock, bow weighs 600 grams, 1/2" of set.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:44:55 am by adb »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Fair enough, I bow to your experience.
But please note I didn't say it doesn't work. I said 'relatively little' and of course the work it does will be proportional to it's thickness and position relative to the neutral axis.
Del
BTW, Nice bow :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:13:31 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
Very handsome bow adb!  Soon as I get my new fastflight flemish installed on the warbow I will post pics

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
final verdict from Jim Boswell himself!!
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 01:29:17 pm »
Well, I was able to email with Jim Boswell himself and he set things straight!  He says his warbows are only made with two belly woods:  hickory or osage.

Per Jim, my bow is indeed HICKORY-IPE-HICKORY and was made in October of 2011.  That lays that to rest once and for all.  Cool!  Just glad to finally know what I got.   

Offline Buckeye Guy

I wonder if the dense core is used to keep the hickory from crushing that soft maple belly !! Have fun with it !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !