Author Topic: recurve form - for steam AND dryheat bending?  (Read 4081 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
recurve form - for steam AND dryheat bending?
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »
a question,
just made this form for recurving tips.
I know it's used for steam bending...but what about dry heat bending?
is it too much curve for dry-heat bending an average bow wood? like hackberry, k.coffee tree, tree of heaven ?
appreciate your responses!
-Richard
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline richardzane

Re: recurve form - for steam AND dryheat bending?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:45:27 pm »
here's the recurve form.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:08:39 pm »
Here's one I made. 2 pieces of scrap 3/4" plywood glued together. I covered it with copper for dry heat bending.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:00:28 pm »
ok,  I notice your recurve bend is slight.
so the question is, can you bend with dryheat , to the same degree as steam bending?

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:53:04 pm »
Depends on the wood.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:34:45 am »
True static recurves are VERY hard to bend with dry heat. By true statics I mean the tip is almost 80-90 degrees to the limb. I steam all statics and dry heat all "flipped" tips like ADB posted.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:22:29 am »
Thanks Pearl,
that's the answer I was needing to hear... and it didn't come to late...i hadn't attempted the drybend yet.
I'm working on a coffee tree stave and this wood has a kind of "brittle" feel about it. was a little worried about stressing it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:00:15 pm »
I suppose everybody has a different idea of what statics are. I feel statics are turned over to about 70-90 degrees and that at least 3" of string should contact the bows belly at brace. If the string doesnt touch at least that much belly then you wont have the smooth draw a static offers. The sooner the string touchs the belly after release, or the shorter the string between contact points, the faster the bow will be. Dont get me wrong, a heavily flipped tip is a mean bugger as well. A good example would be making a static from two 64" bows. One has 55" of string between contact points as a result of longer, steeper statics and the other has 58" as a result of shorter statics, it will not shoot as strong as the first bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:17:55 pm »
tru statics have nothing to do with angle in degrees..although mine are right at 65 to 70...tru static is simply recurved enough to where string touches limb and does not bend when drawn....gut

Offline richardzane

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »
Thanks!
appreciate the responses...this is the kind of discussion that makes sense.
so a good rule of thumb: aprox. 3" of string touching on each limb at brace.
and i guess a WELL reflexed bow might not need as much recurve at the tips to make that happen.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:43:20 pm »
Richard I will be posting a static in a few days after I get it gripped. You can have a look at what my defintion of a static is. To each his own.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 12:48:52 pm »
'preciate that,

that's the problem with "terms" , we can use the same dang word to actually describe similar but different things.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:52:25 pm »
By studying more how statics work and what they do for your bow you will find there isnt any grey areas involved. There is purpose behind string contact and angle.