Author Topic: Help! 100% new to everything archery!  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Meowndy

Help! 100% new to everything archery!
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:15:37 pm »
Hi! My name is Amanda and I have always had an interest in getting involved in archery and I am finally going to pursue it! The only thing is, is that I know absolutely nothing! So the first few things I suppose I would need to know are...

- What sizes should my bow be? I am 4'11 and 100 lbs.
- What kind/size of arrows should I use?
- I live in central Jersey. Does anyone know of any public archery places around here where I could get a start? As in, free lessons perhaps? Or something of the like.

That's all for now, thanks!

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Help! 100% new to everything archery!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »
You came to the right place Amanda. Lost of great folks here with lots of great advice.  For beginners, I always suggest a bow that is a bit on the long side.  You can grow into it as you develop those shooting muscles.  So a longbow your height or even longer.  Same with arrows.  Make sure they are longer than your initial draw length measurements.  I dont know anybody in that area, but chances are someone on here lives near you and is willing to help.  That is my two cents.  Welcome!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:25:16 pm »
I would look in your phone book under archery and search for "archery pro shops" in your zip code on Google search. A good pro shop will  get you set up with an appropriate bow and matching set of arrows.   If there are any archery ranges around you, then there may be archery lessons offered.  :)
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
My girlfriend has a similar stature/structure as you and I've made her a 72 inch bow tip to tip at a 30# draw at 26". Depending on how far your draw is would determine your arrow length. I believe most people make their arrows about 1 inch longer than their draw length. To measure your draw length most people I believe measure from their palm of their shooting hand to about the tip of their nose/mouth. Depending on your draw weight of the bow you would have different thickness of an arrow, which also depends on what type of arrow you are using. I'm no expert and I'm sure many more people will chime in and give you amazing feedback.

Matt

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:47:45 pm »
I'm betting your draw length is around 24-25 inches depending on your form, which right now you don't have because you aren't shooting yet.  I would bet there is an archery club in your area, but they will probably steer you toward compound bows.  In some ways they are easier to shoot, but they are much more technical than more traditional archery.  With more trad' shooters like us, all you need is a stick and a string with some more little sticks with feathers and we're happy! 

I think youngbowyer is in your area.  For a 15 yr old kid, he's an accomplished bowyer...I'm proud to say I own one of his bows.  If he's not so busy running around in the woods chasing his trapline, he might respond on this thread as well. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:03:23 am »
Welcome to PA Amanda. You came to the right place.  ;)  We'll have you building your own gear and teaching others before you know it. I can't help you about archery clubs or classes in your area but I'm sure we have someone here on PA that can.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:25 am »
Another vote for finding a club near by. You dont necessarily have to join up and go every weekend but most of them have a "weekend try out" and will teach you the basics, form, kit, safety etc.

If you start out on your own with guess-work or after some archery shop selling you a load of kit that they want to sell rather than you wanting to buy you will soon get bored of missing and tired of the sport before you have even begun.

In the early days I taught my self to shoot and it was frustrating, i had no spine in my arrows at all and no form.
One weekend course taught me more in those few days than i manage to teach my self in 12 months. Think of it as a shortcut ;)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:07 am »
Learning on a managable glass bow is A good way to get into the sport. Go for it, im sure you will like it
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 09:48:57 am »
I'm sure some Youngbowyer  ;) on here might be willing to make a young lady a bow to get her started.  >:D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 09:53:09 am »
     welcome to pa. one of the most helpful resources a person can have.
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:22:44 am »
The first thing I would do is check some books out from the library. There is almost certainly a good beginners archery book.

Once you read the book, you will have a basic understanding of what YOU want, not what the archery pro shop wants you to have.

As far as a bow. You received a lot of good advise above. You could buy Traditional Bowyers Bible vol1 if its not at the library, and build yourself a perfectly suitable bow for about 20 bucks.

Patrick

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:56 pm »
Welcome amanda,a warning though,bow building and shooting is very addictive !lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 02:01:43 pm »
If he's not so busy running around in the woods chasing his trapline, he might respond on this thread as well.

;D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 02:10:58 pm »
Welcome Amanda! Dont listen to these guys, its not an addiction, its a hobby  ::) ;D (hobby- a controlled addiction) I think that you should start with a light bow that is easy to pull. I made my sister a bow that was only 56 inches, and its light and easy for her to pull.(now shes complaining that its too light) but for starting its more important to learn the proper motions, and to get it right before stepping up the weight. Once you have proper form and you find it super easy to shoot your bow accurately then you should move on to a heavier bow. My sisters is just a board bow that took me about 5 hrs to work on and a few more to finish with a water sealant. In my opinion, starting with a traditional bow will help you stay satisfied with that style. however, if you need to you could buy a fiberglass to start the process. Practice is everything, the more you practice the better you will become. If Youngbowyer is willing to make you a bow i would take him up on his offer, simply because it will mean more than just a machine made bow. Hope you enjoy starting, and Good luck!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »
As much as I would like to be able to send out bows, I just don't think my skill set is there yet, and someone new to archery should have a solid learning platform, which my bows are not.
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.