Author Topic: propeller tips  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Matt A

propeller tips
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:56:47 am »
I have a short HHB and the same american elm stave in the last post both about 57 inches long.
problem is the one tip on the american elm and both on the HHB twist about 30 degrees in the opposite directions for only the last about 2 inches of the staves, other than that they look flawless.
? is can i file a spot for all the tips and glue on a tip and file it as if it were straight like the rest of the stave if you're catching my drift???

Offline adb

Re: propeller tips
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:03:11 am »
A small bit of prop twist, especially at the very end of draw, is not a problem.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:09:25 am »
I would not "rotate" the tip around so that it is on the same plane as the back of the bow unless it is just a small movement.  You should post pics of this twist to be sure but its not good to pull sideways on the bow tips.  Some twist is ok on any bow and some bows can handle lots of sideways strain but you never know. 
Since its just a couple of inches on the end maybe you could trim it down to a smaller bow.  You can steam and untwist it some too.

Offline Matt A

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:52 am »
no can do on the pics. but how would it matter if the last bit of the tips are stiff anyhow? say normally or if i flipped them a tad.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:07:56 am »
I agree that the twist shouldn't pose a problem for you. I definitely dont think you should put the overlay on anything but the back of the bow, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:27:57 am »
Im catching your drift Matt. Yes you can, but there is no need to do so. Glue the overlays on the same plane the back is on, the twist hurts nothing as long as the bow stays braced and the string bisects the grips center.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:35 pm »
Probably not a problem but I would just heat and get it out if it was mine,both woods react well to heat. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:16 pm »
Wait til braced to see how the string tracks. With the tips tewisting in opposite directions(prop twist) they may counteract each other when drawn.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt A

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:08:06 pm »
i spose I'll try the heat gun for a bit and see how it turns out, Kinda need to flip the tips on both anyhow cause of my freak draw if i want to anchor anywhere near my face  ;D